Not A Good Day.

Ogberi, I feel for you. I cannot say that I know what you are going through, but I can certainly understand how writing down and sharing what is on your mind can be great therapy. Hang in there, these hardships shall pass, but will leave an everlasting impression on you. We're here to listen and to provide encouragement when it is needed. The only advice that I can give is to keep up the strong positive outlook as it will be a big part of getting through it all.

My sincere condolences on your loss and troubles. I've found that the best way to soothe your soul is to put 110% effort into soothing the pain of others around you. You'd be surprised how so much of that effort comes back to you, and has lasting benefits thereafter.

Hi All,

An update.

It's now several months later, and a lot has changed.

Everything has been divided up, my wife has moved out, and we'll be filing the dissolution of marriage papers right after the first of the year. It's easier for the both of us to get a day off to take care of that after the year end (during which I work insanely long days), plus it greatly simplifies doing our taxes for the last time.

I want to stress that this is an amicable divorce. Neither of us are angry, or spiteful, or hate the other. We just realize and accept that this marriage is broken: it doesn't work anymore. It is in our best interests to split up and go our separate ways before we do end up hating each other.

The good news is that I've gotten my head on straighter, gotten my finances in order, and I'll be able to keep the house. Money will be a bit tight, and my hobby budget is nearly non-existent, but I still have my home, my shop, and I've always been a good scrounger.

The bad news is that I remembered why I didn't talk to my brother for all those years. He and his wife are not pleasant people. I can't say much more than that without setting off into a rant, which won't do anybody much good. For me, the breaking point was when my brother told me, "You need to find you balls, and kick that ***** out. She wants to leave? Fine. Throw all her personal **** in the driveway, change the locks, and clear the codes on the garage door opener. Then lawyer up."

Really? I know exactly where mine are, thank you very much. Aside from the fact that she has a legal right to be here, following his 'advice' is a sure-fire way to turn this uncomfortable, but amicable divorce into a nasty crapstorm of vitriol and spite. At which point, I would most assuredly loose the house, probably have to sell the contents of my workshop (to pay for a lawyer), and at the end, we'd *BOTH* end up with nothing while those sub-human divorce lawyers chuckle all the way to the bank.

Yeah. Sounds like *real* good advice to me.

Instead, she stayed here until she was able to find somewhere to live, we got our finances in order, took care of dividing everything up, and got 13 years worth of intermingled bills, accounts, and whatnot separated. Her plans changed drastically, as her supervisor denied three out of state transfers, and she finally ended up getting a transfer to another office close to where she lives now. I'm glad she's out of that office, as some of her cow-orkers are nasty, vicious people. There are two or three I absolutely can't tolerate, and it's hard to be civil the few times I've been around them.

As far as how I'm doing, I'm okay. It's definitely strange and weird to come home to an empty (as in nobody and no pets, I still have 1/2 the furniture) home. I still have the chickens, but those don't really qualify as 'pets'. I've been cleaning and re-arranging the house, because I need the change. Working on building new routines, because I find routines comforting. I don't freak out if my routines get messed up, but I do like them to get back to normal as soon as possible.

This being the first weekend she's not here, I realized that one of my normal routines is the weekly Saturday Honey-Do list. I always have my own things to do, in addition to those. It'll be weird tomorrow morning to get up and not have her to-do list in my head.

I think this weekend I'll light up the firepit and tote a 6pack out there, along with a good cigar. Now that I have time and space to myself, I can start to get my life back together. It's still a fair wreck right now, but at least the foundation is laid and I can start over again.

And for those that have asked, my name is Shad. Nice to meet you.

Shad,
It is very nice to meet you, too. I am glad to hear you're okay.
Thanks for the update, because I have thought of you and this thread in the mean time.
You are one very strong-willed character.

Things will settle down into a "new normal", different than ever before, but you obviously have NOT lost yourself.
I am glad you can keep the house and workshop, that'll provide you some therapy.
I am sure there are a number of projects you can do with stuff already in hand, and your scrounging abilities will get a good work out.

You sound stronger than I think I could be under the circumstances, and I am certainly no counselor, but the offer is still there to connect by PM if you ever need to "talk".

Stay strong and keep machining!
-brino

Family stuff, it's hard, it's complicated. My ex wife asked me to be her primary care giver when she was diagnosed with cancer. It was one of the hardest, and most meaningful things I have ever done. My hobby machine shop was still in her garage...............I would escape there to deal with the challenge of watching her die. I feel your loss and wish you the best and speedy recovery......................Tim

Shad,

It is amazing , the similarity in our situations. I had posted earlier in this thread that my significant other of sixteen years blindsides me by telling me she was leaving me. I had no idea anything was wrong at the time. As hard as it is, I sat and watched her go out on dates and overheard her talking to new prospective boyfriends on the phone. It was like sticking a knife in my heart but we both own the home and live in it together but with our own separate bedrooms. We are separating amicably, going to divide everything, and I will get to keep the home. We are still friends, I keep my feelings to myself. She tries to tell me everything not realizing the pain she is causing me . She met a really nice guy that seems to love her. I met him ( he has no idea he is replacing me). Well, last week she moved out to be with him. I helped her pack and we talked like the friends we always have been. I did tell her new boyfriend that if he ever hurts her , I will put him in the hospital. It was hard not to beg her to stay and start over. All I want is for her to be happy. The first night alone was spent crying and wondering what happened and why. It has been about three days and I am trying to put my life together. I choose to remain alone because at 64 with all my health problems , no one is going to want me anyway. I had another mini stroke last night and realized there is no one to tell. I would never call her because she would be right here checking on me. ( she moved 4 hours away). The doctors say I can't live alone, but I don't give a crap about their opinion. I haven't been in my shop in over a week, but may try today . My family hated her ( I don't know why) and her family hated me ( I do know why) so for sixteen years, I turned my back to everyone and it was her and me against the world for 16 years. Yesterday , I realized what alone is really like. Fortunately I have my little Yorkie that absolutely worships me and two poodles she left behind with me. I spent yesterday rearranging the house to my liking so that I don't see her everywhere I look. I don't know what is coming. I will try to hit it head on though. I am trying to get into a new routine. It will be rough but the house will be paid off in 16 months, then life will be easier. The mini strokes are getting more often. They happen two or three times a month now instead of every few months. They did tests but found nothing.
( there is nothing going on when they do the tests though).
Even though I haven't been building any projects for a while on here, I still try to get on here everyday to see what everyone is doing. It makes me feel better.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark, what's important to realize is that when your significant other stops putting you first, it's time to put yourself first. Asking her to stay would only result in you taking over the knife twisting duties yourself. The right thing to do is seldom the fastest, most comfortable, and easiest. It does get easier, and as hollow as it sounds, we aren't the first, nor shall we be the last, to go through this. We both got lucky in that it was amicable with the significant others. Either or both of us could have ended up having to move, or handing ill-deserved money to lawyers and the courts to let them force an agreement. As it is, that wasn't necessary for us. +1 on rearranging the house. it's your home now, so you can do with it as you see fit. As for being alone, well, it's a necessary part of being single, and it gives time to heal. I've taken one hell of an emotional beating these last six months, and some of the scars are still raw. But don't question the decision to let her leave. As soon as she decided that, your primary responsibility became looking out for yourself. Rather than making things difficult, we both worked our situations out amicably. But it's final. It is over. No matter if my wife calls up blubbering that she made a mistake, that she isn't happy, that she realizes she threw away someone who cared so much about her and wanted her to be happy, and all the things we've worked for. She knows this, I told her that if she wanted to be separated, it meant divorce. And that if she did leave, it was over. She decided to leave.
And I will stand by that. I spent far too many years being treated as a roommate instead of a husband, and I will not put myself back in that situation simply because it's familiar and comfortable. Heck, as crappy as things have been for me, they can only get better. :) That's the best thing about breaking the shovel after hitting rock bottom and starting to dig. It means it's time to start climbing.

As far as your health issues and dating, don't let 'em stop you. Everybody has the right to be happy, regardless of health. Not trying to sound morbid, but all of our days are numbered. We each only get a finite number of them, and the fewer we have, the less we should waste being unhappy. Take time to get your head in order, look after yourself first. Then start hitting up you friends to set you up with someone nice. Go to Bingo night and see what happens. Heck, you can even look online, but remember the five rules of online dating (coming from a Network and Systems Administrator and IT professional who knows a few things about security and the internet):

#1- NEVER SEND THEM MONEY!
#2- NEVER SEND THEM MONEY!
#3- NEVER SEND THEM MONEY!
#4- NEVER SEND THEM MONEY!
#5- NEVER SEND THEM MONEY!

No matter what the sob story, no matter if they're going to 'lose their house, their kids, etc, etc'. What starts off as a few bucks ends up to be tons of money, and it's rarely reported as a crime because the victims are too ashamed to do so. It's extremely common, and some of them can be quite convincing. They are perfectly happy to take months to work the scam, because to them, 'Hey, free money!". Not saying that all women on the 'net are like that, but it's a darn common thing to happen, and single, lonely guys are vulnerable to it, just as are single, lonely women. Be *very* wary if they don't live locally, and start hitting you up for money to move. That's one of the most common angles of the scams. Not trying to put a damper on you, nor to scare you, but you're a friend, and I watch out for my friends. I had a buddy get hit with this sort of scam, and thankfully he only lost a couple of grand (which he couldn't afford) before he realized I was trying to help him. He didn't report it, either, because he was ashamed. Anyway, keep that in mind if you go online dating.

So remember that at this point, just like me, your #1 priority is to look after yourself. It's fine to help, but she made her decision, you chose to let her go so she could try to be happy, and if she finds the grass really wasn't greener, well, that's too bad because that's what she chose. Don't give her the chance to hurt you again.

And now, it's time to go muck out the chicken coop. Not the most enjoyable job, but it does give one time to contemplate things. Like how a chicken gets poop on the ceiling..... how is that even possible?!?!

Shad,
nice to meet you as well!
realize this,
any happiness that you will ever receive, will not come from outside yourself.

i applaud your soul bearing, the simple act will be the best foundation on which to build future success from.

When you are enjoying the 6 pack, without the honey doo's

Hoist one for your friends, i'll hoist one back to you!
Zum Wohl!

tmp_4073-20151212_175530-133180126.jpg A guinness, a Hav-a-Tampa Jewel Sweet, and the foundation of a nice fire. Got some music on my tablet, and a comfy chair by the fire. No mosquitoes. All my chores are done, and it's time to relax and think about nothing.

Shad, It sounds more like you are the supporter rather than one in need of support. More of your personal strength showing thru.

Mark, I hope you can manage to get out to your shop soon. Even if you have no new projects to post your experience is much appreciated here.

-brino

Back