Red neck layout bluing?

For small work, I like felt pen for layout fluid, it takes finer, sharper lines than most layout dye, the layout dye that Starrett sold years ago was better than any other that I have used, such as Dykem, and it did not stink so bad.

For small work, I like felt pen for layout fluid, it takes finer, sharper lines than most layout dye, the layout dye that Starrett sold years ago was better than any other that I have used, such as Dykem, and it did not stink so bad.
I like the smell of Dykem... :grin: It brings back memories of applying dope to model airplanes when I was a kid, and when I did control line precision aerobatics in my 30s.

I'm hoping there is truth to what I heard about blue markers having more ink

I think it's more a case of a better mark, not more ink. The blue covers better, scribes better, and lasts a little longer than black. I think it's easier to see a scribe than black. Just my opinion.

I think it's more a case of a better mark, not more ink. The blue covers better, scribes better, and lasts a little longer than black. I think it's easier to see a scribe than black. Just my opinion.
I hope they last a while. I've got 24 of them. I'll keep then in a cool dry place.

I hope they last a while. I've got 24 of them. I'll keep then in a cool dry place.
They do last quite a while. I bought a black one back in about 2000 to do some layouts at work. When I retired in 2006, they told me it smelled so bad I was required to take it with me. I used it a few times in my shop, but the wife told me to get rid of it because it smelled. A few weeks ago, I found it in a toolbox in the garage at the family cottage. It still works, and it still stinks.

It didn't need any special storage conditions. The garage gets down to -20* in the winter, and close to 100*F in the summer. It still stinks regardless of the temperature.

:D

View attachment 488847

Just bought 24 pcs for $30.95 shipped on Ebay.

I can't be the only one, although I usually use black.
Brah, not redneck at all.

When I first saw this (Blondie?) I was sold, but the damn things were $9 on A-zon.

We got a box in at work for our whiteboards and I got one got my box and its a godsend.

Fun fact: Dychem will not stick to galvanized sheet steel. It seems to have a waxy layer that prevents the dychem from sticking and if it does it turns a weird translucent yellowy purple.

Sharpie cuts right through that waxy mess and works great.

Back