Red neck layout bluing?

I like the smell of Dykem... :grin: It brings back memories of applying dope to model airplanes when I was a kid, and when I did control line precision aerobatics in my 30s.
Easter eggs!

Link to 24, I only see 12@ 30 something...

Nope you are not alone although I don't use them for that purpose, not at home anyway. At work I use a Sharpie cause ai have no other choice. Many YT machinists have been doing that for a long time & is where I first seen it. Keith Fenner calls it Sharp-em (sounds like sharp-um when he says it).

I still use & prefer Dykem at home. I tried the Sharpie thing once. I forgot what I using but whatever cutting fluid it was dissolved the Sharpie instantly & the Sharpie ink flung all over my lathe bed which is white. I was not happy at the time that it stained it.

Nope you are not alone although I don't use them for that purpose, not at home anyway. At work I use a Sharpie cause ai have no other choice. Many YT machinists have been doing that for a long time & is where I first seen it. Keith Fenner calls it Sharp-em (sounds like sharp-um when he says it).

I still use & prefer Dykem at home. I tried the Sharpie thing once. I forgot what I using but whatever cutting fluid it was dissolved the Sharpie instantly & the Sharpie ink flung all over my lathe bed which is white. I was not happy at the time that it stained it.
I still use Dykem. I prefer it myself. When you have 72 year old eyes and wear Tri-Focal there is never enough light.

I like the smell of Dykem... :grin: It brings back memories of applying dope to model airplanes when I was a kid, and when I did control line precision aerobatics in my 30s.
Me too. But I was into hand-launch gliders and free-flight. Got dizzy & sick doing control line. I recently bought some fluorescent paint to put on my arrows for locating in the dark. It has that distinctive "dope" aroma.

I do use black Sharpie on occasion, but should try the larger blue marker to see if it does put down more ink.

Last edited:
Brah, not redneck at all.

When I first saw this (Blondie?) I was sold, but the damn things were $9 on A-zon.

We got a box in at work for our whiteboards and I got one got my box and its a godsend.
Whiteboard markers are OK for making notes on your vise, but wipe off too easily for layout work.

The Staples Tru Red brand work better for me:

20250504 Redneck Layout Blue.jpeg

Holy crap 24 packs? Do these things dry out quick? I haven't owned or used a Magnum 44 Sharpie in probably 2 decades, I lost it before it dried out. I buy regular Sharpies by the 12 pack & one pack will last me years.

You guys must be marking up everything! Even the small bottle of Dykem lasts me years. :D

Back