Redlineman's Logan 200 Rescue

My apron? First, a personal rant. I ask questions on some of these forums, and no one ever seems to answer them. Yet, I see variously lost, misguided, clueless, inane banter for pages and pages about stuff that could be considered patently obvious. I ask about a skilled topic, and The Minds blather on over nothing instead. Well... this forum is indeed friendlier than SOME OF THOSE OTHERS. Less elitist attitude, perhaps, or smugness, or whatever. It's not necessarily overt "over there", but it exists, and Logans are looked on largely as a higher class Atlas, which are utterly SHUNNED. I've speculated that my obvious abilities to create in some areas make people think that I don't need any help. WRONG! I need help with things I don't know about, just like anyone else. I'm no more or less interested in blundering through and screwing up a million times than the next guy, so when I ask a question, it is sincere. I know a lot of things, and have talent, but I don't know everything. So... CAN I GET SOME ANSWERS????!!!!! RANT Off.
First off, sorry ... I did not mean to light a fuse! I was really just joking around with the apron and dial comment. :sorry2:
I really have no clue as to your issue, other than there being some wear on one gear or the other or bent shaft on one of them. Heck, you've been inside your lathe much farther than most here ... a bunch of us are learning from you.:idea2:

John is correct, sometimes nobody has the answer. It has nothing to do with your machine, many times nobody has had to solve the problem before.

I guess I would start by finding the offending gear teeth. Then use a file to reshape the teeth to fit. I'm guessing there is a small burr somewhere. Also inspect the root of the teeth for metal chips stuck in there. As far as the rack goes, brazing up and reshaping the bad teeth is a good method.

So, the main issue with my apron is the crossfeed idler gears. They have one spot where they hang up pretty consistently. The bevel gear is the original, and the idler is a very nice used replacement. Those who have followed my build will not be surprised that my lathe HAD no idler gear at all, likely having been pummeled into oblivion by numerous crashes. You might also not be surprised that the rack gear of the pair is a bit worn. I hoped it would not be too bad to work, and it does mostly, but there is that one spot...

Perhaps I should just go buy a new rack gear, but that is not usually my first thought. My question had been, and continues to be, what is the process for working out these confrontations between teeth, and massaging them into a synergistic existence?
I'm not finding where you were talking about this issue previously ... I probably missed it. Trying to eliminate components ... at what point of assembly/disassembly do you notice the binding? There are 4 gears (IIRC) and one of the bevel gears has a second gear to work the idler. Lets eliminate as much as we can (maybe you have). Is the issue between the idler and the bevel gear ... can you feel the issue when rotating the bevel gear with apron on the bench?

No no...

Settle down. There are dicks out there, but they are not here... well... at the moment... well... I don't think? :lmao:

Anyone looking at my lathe pics knows there is not chip one to be found anywhere, so I know they have not been following my exploits. :)) The problem is in nothing but the rack pinion gear LA-155 meshing with the idler shift gear LA-191. I imagine the trick is to die the teeth, roll them together a bit, and look for the points that obviously clash. I have marked the gears where they catch, and it is always the same spot. I know that guys that are craftsmen and fool with old lathes with irreplaceable parts do not just run them and let the teeth deal with it themselves. I was looking for strategies that I may not have thought of, but only got crickets.

It was on another forum. I must come up with some real corkers, because a lot of my questions, even to The Gods, go unanswered.

Learning from me? Gads...

HIJACK......................

I've got Micrometer Madness. I've bought twelve of them in the past 3 days. Help.

Well... the problem with having multiple project sites is having to always figure where what you need is. Is it at garage lathe/mill, basement lathe/surface plate, or at the shop? Two are at home and only mildly annoying. The shop is 10 minutes drive and not immediately convenient. And... I want legacy stuff. Stuff with 'Murican quality and HISTORY. Solution; have 3 sets of everything.

I love micrometers! :ups:

HIJACK......................

I've got Micrometer Madness. I've bought twelve of them in the past 3 days. Help.

Well... the problem with having multiple project sites is having to always figure where what you need is. Is it at garage lathe/mill, basement lathe/surface plate, or at the shop? Two are at home and only mildly annoying. The shop is 10 minutes drive and not immediately convenient. And... I want legacy stuff. Stuff with 'Murican quality and HISTORY. Solution; have 3 sets of everything.

I love micrometers! :ups:

:worthless:

Alrighty then ... glad that was all a misunderstanding.

But something is not making sense (to me at least). Is the issue with the cross feed gearing, or the rack gearing? As far as I remember (and can interpret in the drawings) the rack pinion gear LA-155 does not mesh with LA-191 the shift gear for the cross feed. Two separate gear trains, two separate motions.

Whatever the case, all of these gears are different diam. So if you have the teeth of both gears marked where there is a 'catch', rotate until the next catch. At this point, I would suspect that one and only one of the marked teeth will be meshed with the other gear. The gear with the marked tooth in contact with the other gear would be the problem gear, and the marked tooth or the teeth to either side would be the problem.

From there, time to take a very close look for any wear, anomaly or whatever.

-------------
Had to edit after your post (I type slow):
Don't know squat about measuring gears ... but it sounds like you need 6 gear micrometers (or whatever they use). LMAO.

Ummm...

Wrong number. I actually had it wrong on my fancy color diagram. :dunno:

That should be Miter Gear LA-188 and Shift Gear LA-191. Here are the offending critters.

LoganCrossfeedProblem1.jpg

Ummm...

Wrong number. I actually had it wrong on my fancy color diagram. :dunno:

That should be Miter Gear LA-188 and Shift Gear LA-191. Here are the offending critters.
So, every time LA-191 comes around with the mark meshing to the miter gear ... you feel it bind?
If so, two things come to mind ... teeth on one side or the other of the mark (or on the mark) have some kind of bugger in them. Maybe get some Prussian blue (maybe dykem would work) and see where those couple teeth get polished up more so than the others.
The other thought, could the 191 gear be ever so slightly cocked on the stud/bushing? I have never had this apart but, if it was cocked so that the black line coincides with the high or low side ... I could see that potentially causing a bind.

Back