Redlineman's Logan 200 Rescue

Yeh;

Going from memory - it's been a few months - the shoulder on the gear is not as deep as the hole in the cone that it fits in. There is a gap in there that allows you to angle into the back of the gear shoulder. I should have thought of a better way, though, as I damaged mine as mentioned/pictured. Let's see... Clamp the assembly on a table and using an internal jaw puller with a really long spindle rod would pull it even.

Redlineman:

Thanks for the info. I have to say that I've never touched an internal jaw puller. I had to look for pics of those type of tools on the net.

The trick is to find one with the end hooks small enough to fit the narrow gap between the gear and the inside edge of the cone.
I have to wonder if some other folks on this forum have worked up something special to pull that thing out.

Did you get your fancy new chuck yet?

TomKro

:thumbsup: Looking Good! :thumbsup: I just love seeing these machines getting a new life. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Randy;

This one would have been parted in a heartbeat, crashed as it was. I have a much stronger sense of history than that. Heck... it's been in MY family for 35 years. I'm now doing what my father never got around to.

:ups:Sometime this week!

$(KGrHqFHJBUFJS+ilFmsBSb,)skG7w~~60_57.JPG

EDIT - Just got a tracking number!

$(KGrHqFHJBUFJS+ilFmsBSb,)skG7w~~60_57.JPG

That is/was a nice looking chuck. I looked long and hard at it too. Kept scratching my head wondering if it was just cleaned up somehow or if it really was pristine NOS. Heck, even for NOS that thing looked beautiful.

Report back once you get it ... just so I can understand what I missed, LOL.

Hey Ed;

You and me both, man. I stared at it long and hard as well. Not too long though.

1) No reputable dealer is going to do anything shifty, or risk immediate and permanent destruction of their reputation. This guy has a lot of stuff for sale. I didn't think he would risk it. No spray paint or Photoshop. I'd like to know how they do it too. Walnut shells? Evaporust? I know it didn't look like that when he got it.

2) I look through the superficial quality (shine) and to the edges and surfaces. No nicks, dents, flats, dings, cuts, crashes. Hard to believe, but there it is. You just cant fake surface quality unless you fill and paint.

I'd have preferred a 4-jaw, but... I missed a Cushman last week that was a diamond in the rough. Old and brown, but not a mark on it. Blew that one. I wasn't going to miss another one. It sure better live up to the billing... I'll know tomorrow.

Funny;

My lathe never had a back gear shifter. Gone. I blew this thing down nearly a year ago now. I'm putting everything together now, and it takes a lot of jiggering and fiddling to get all the spacings correct. Set and reset the gears and such to get it all clearanced. I've been fiddling with the back gear shifter for a while, on and off, but not really intending to lock it down just yet. That's more toward the end. Something about it didn't quite figure, but I wasn't sweating it.

Painted the bed last night, and the headstock cover tonight. I was fiddling with that shifter again tonight, and it still was not making sense to me. I note the locking tab would slip into the case. Hmmm... The end is rounded off. Won't catch. No problem. Pushed the pin out, ground the end of the tab flat, and slid it back together. Still slipped through. OK... tab doesn't stick out far enough. Simple. Slid the tab back out and ground the other end where it bottomed in the slot at rest. Perfect. Sticks out and locks solid. Still this thing doesn't make sense.

I slip the shifter in and engage the back gears. Works. Slide it out to disengage the back gears. OK. Wait... this doesn't make sense. The tab locks it out of back gears? It sticks that far out most of the time? The shifter slides out so far that the back tip of the shaft doesn't stick out far enough to put the locking collar on the end?

Good fortune came in the form of the complete spare headstock I bought for parts sitting there on the bench. Shifter and back gear shaft still in place. No locking tab on this one, but shifting it back and forth, smooth as silk. Wait... isn't this working opposite? Push it in to disengage, pull it out to engage. YES! Now the lock tab makes sense. It locks the shifter OUT to hold back gears IN. I've got the rebuilt one backwards! Who knew? You've got to hold the eccentric back gear shaft up with gears engaged before you slip the shifter in. Works like a charm.

Hey.... I got this!

Yep, you got it. Pull out to engage.

Are you on the Logan Yahoo group that Scott Logan runs? He posted instructions on the proper way to set this up.......I believe it's in the files section. If you can't find it let me know and I can provide a link.

Steve

Thanks guys;

I had not gone to look for it. Never having HAD the back gear shifter, I had no idea that I was dong it wrong. However, I did realize that something was fishy. The upside is that, before this little discovery, I had a bind in the gears when running in backs. Now that I have the shifter working properly, the bind is gone!!!

Yep... I got this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: The above procedure is what I had done on my own, once the light came on. Since I realized it was not working when the shifter was installed with the back gear shaft flopped down, it made sense to reverse that; bringing the back gears into engagement before inserting the shifter. Good intuition, it turns out!

Last edited:
Back