Redlineman's Logan 200 Rescue

Redlineman,

Man, I almost hate to mention this. I see you've assembled the headstock and spindle. It looks great! One of the best improvements to these old lathes is the addition of an automotive serpentine belt. Have you considered it? Obviously it needs to be installed on the spindle before the spindle goes in.

Now that you have experience in taking it apart, it should be easy the second time. :whiteflag:

If you are going with a spliced belt........please disregard the above. :whistle:

Steve

Ah... but it's not!

Look closer at the drive end. It's bodged together on a trial basis. It's only running on the front bearing. I was just kind of messing and testing to see how things would play out. Quite frankly, I have not decided which belt I want to use. Part of me likes the modern solution, and part of me wants an original leather belt on there. I could very easily just pop down and buy a 39" serpentine belt. For more or less the same money, I could leave what is together where it is, make it truly authentic, and lace on a leather one. I really can't decide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one has been able to tell me what that hole in the back gear shifter is for?!?!

I really can't decide.

Why not do both? I think you could let one just idle free while using the other. See how you like each one, then cut off the one you don't like. Options are good. :))

- - - Updated - - -

No one has been able to tell me what that hole in the back gear shifter is for?!?!

Sorry, I didn't see this before. What hole are you referring to? Going from memory there should only be two holes; one for the pivot pin on the little lock on the front, and one on the back for the stop collar. Now that I wrote that, I don't recall if the collar has a hole thru the pin or if it's just a set screw so you can adjust it.

Do you have another hole?

Steve

Hey Red,

Here is my 2 cents on your belt dilemma. I would evaluate the end use of the machine. If you are going to make it a museum piece where it sits and looks good, then the leather belt is the way to go. If you are going to get it dirty more than it is clean then the belt that is going to be the most efficient and the most durable is the way to go. I am thinking a modern serpentine is probably going to fill those requirements better. Either way, you'll have a fine machine you can be proud to own. Good luck.

Probably good advice, Randy. I plan on keeping it clean, but definitely using it.

As for that mystery hole (visible in the previous pic), let's try this version of the same pic.....

LoganRebuildChuck1Arrows.jpg

Oh......THAT hole.

Sorry, don't have a clue. I just went to look at mine and doesn't have said hole. The know looks exactly the same so I would say yours is the original knob.......that has been customized. :whistle:

Glad to hear that chuck was as advertised! Good for you.

I think the glare off the chuck made the hole hard to see.:whistle:

No hole in my knob either, at least not a big hole like that. I will say though, my 200 does not have the switch cut out either ... so they are different vintages (your switch mounting was earlier, if I remember correctly). Maybe the knob changed as well?? But have never seen one like that.

For the belt ... I would put on the serp belt. You can always cut it off and go old school, if you want. I bought a green, one piece, fibery one from Logan ... I wish I would have went with a serp. I can't remember, but when I ordered I believe there were a couple sizes of belts, depending on if the lathe was the bench model (like mine) or the model with the legs/chip pan and post leg.

I think the hole is used to hang a sign to remind you to disengage the bull gear before you hit the power switch...

Seriously, I have not seen one like that. If you want one without the hole, I have one from a Model 210 that should fit. Send me a PM with your address if you want it. The one I have has a jammed up locking mechanism, so you'll have to swap yours, or repair the one that's in it (could be just needs some oil).

A long time ago, I recall seeing someone on the web who laced a serpentine belt with fishing line, to install it without pulling the spindle. Since there's no metal lacing, it likely wouldn't be noisy, and there's plenty of room between the serpentine belt ridges to double or triple lace it, if strength is a concern. I plan to give it a try using one of my old "low mileage" belts, since I usually change them every 50,000 miles or so.

By the way, the paint job on that headstock is just as nice as that sweet new chuck. Looking good!

Thanks Tom;

I'm not sure if the hole bugs me or not. I guess it will until I know what it might have been for. It does not go all the way through in that large size, but steps down right near the bottom to about the size of a wire clothes hanger. No threads or other marks on the outside like a screw was there. It definitely looks factory. Can't figure it out, and I've never seen another one like it. Whatever...

I'll likely slide the spindle out and toss a serpentine on there before too long. Logan says 39". You can lace them, or even skive (Skiving; yeh, really) and glue them. Can't imagine sitting there sanding on a rubber belt to bevel it, but I guess it can be done. Hard to believe a glued belt would hold, but I guess they do, so lacing should be plenty strong.

Back