Socialize your dog

I remember as a kid we would go to the local auto junk yards and true to the old saying the junk yard dogs were the meanest in that time period.
LOL, I worked in two VW wrecking yards and was around the dogs. They wandered about the yards and hung out wherever during the day and basically acted like pets. All three were friendly. All were some kind of German Shepard mix. But when the sun went down and the gates were locked they all went into beast mode. No way could I try and get in there at night. That’s the funny thing about all dogs is they have their own trigger that I think is part of their DNA when it happens.

My pitty girl was the sweetest most obedient dog ever and was completely non aggressive. But one night just as I was turning in she wanted out in the backyard. I just said no and she went to get in bed, no argument. But I thought what if she got to do her biz? So I went over and opened the sliding glass door and she looked up at me and said ok. She shot off like a rocket with her chest a couple inches off the ground like an insane light speed crawl. She went behind the shed before I could even react and I heard this godawful screech and silence. I called her several times and there was nothing. Got my flashlight and she was pacing back and forth along the fence and came when she saw me. I expected to see her dead as we have mountain lions, Bob cats, raccoons etc locally. Checked her out and not a scratch. Next day I went behind the shed to get something and there’s a raccoon with its head on backward! It was around 25+lbs. She literally offed it in 3seconds. Needless to say I didn’t let her out at night anymore.

LOL, I worked in two VW wrecking yards and was around the dogs. They wandered about the yards and hung out wherever during the day and basically acted like pets. All three were friendly. All were some kind of German Shepard mix. But when the sun went down and the gates were locked they all went into beast mode. No way could I try and get in there at night. That’s the funny thing about all dogs is they have their own trigger that I think is part of their DNA when it happens.

My pitty girl was the sweetest most obedient dog ever and was completely non aggressive. But one night just as I was turning in she wanted out in the backyard. I just said no and she went to get in bed, no argument. But I thought what if she got to do her biz? So I went over and opened the sliding glass door and she looked up at me and said ok. She shot off like a rocket with her chest a couple inches off the ground like an insane light speed crawl. She went behind the shed before I could even react and I heard this godawful screech and silence. I called her several times and there was nothing. Got my flashlight and she was pacing back and forth along the fence and came when she saw me. I expected to see her dead as we have mountain lions, Bob cats, raccoons etc locally. Checked her out and not a scratch. Next day I went behind the shed to get something and there’s a raccoon with its head on backward! It was around 25+lbs. She literally offed it in 3seconds. Needless to say I didn’t let her out at night anymore.
Believe it or not where I am in Staten Island N.Y. we have raccoons, skunks, gophers and deer. Every night we would let our guy out before bedtime and one night he makes a mad run for the back fence. We hear very unsettling noises and we see him come out from behind shed. thinking everything was O.K. until we got a whiff of that God awful stench of skunk. Needless to say we had a very late night washing him with everything just short of gasoline. The house and the dog stunk for a week until the odor was tolerable, and that was only after buying some over the counter cleaners and taking him to the groomer So he's not going out at night anymore.

I had the same happen. We keep peroxide , baking soda and dawn in stock for that. And he doesn't come in the house. He gets the garage for the night or 2. Last time it happened it was 11:30 at night. :rolleyes: Next time it happens, he gets to bathe himself :mad:, I'm not going to take it again that late.

Thankfully, he has never killed anything. He just wants to smell them. Rabbits, squirrels (he might kill as he gets really wound up)... birds (he think all 107lbs of him can fly). He has tried to climb the tree after rabbits. funny as SH*T.

Was out for a walk with my dog and the wife. my dog is very well socialized. I take him everywhere I can. And let him meet and greet all dogs. But I usually ask if we meet on the street, or outside a dog park. I am always amazed how many people don't know their own dogs, or who've never allowed their dogs to meet other dogs. Today, one that didn't know how her dog reacts to others so didn't want to meet Rex, and another who barked at me that her dog is not friendly, when it appeared the dog was friendly but the woman was NOT.

Your dog can't know what's accepted practice unless you let the dog have a chance. Sometimes there will be growling and barking, but if they are not attacking each other with teeth, they are communicating. They are letting each other know what they'll allow and not allowed.

While I'm not the dog whisperer, I do know a lot about dogs.. I like them better than most people. Enough said.

If you let your dog stop and sniff other dogs you are training them that it is OK to stop and sniff EVERY dog that comes along. This is NOT proper socialization! Your dog will not understand that this dog is OK to sniff and this one is not. There are aggressive dogs and there are owners that don't want their dogs to interact with other dogs (service dogs, police dogs, just to name a couple).

A dog that stops and greets every dog that comes along has a **** poor owner that SHOULD NOT OWN A DOG!

Last edited:
A dog that stops and greets every dog that comes along has a **** poor owner that SHOULD NOT OWN A DOG!
I guess I'm that **** poor owner. But I disagree with your perception that I should not own a dog. I believe I am a responsible dog owner, just my opinion. Dogs are pack animals, they use their nose mostly to know who the person or animal is. Many will attack the mailman because they are prevented from smelling the mailman and he comes daily and they don't get to interact, it is tantalizing to them to not be able to greet them. Controlling your dog is important.

I read all the comments and feel they all merit thought. Some I may like, some not so much. But all of us have the same message and that is we all love our dogs and would not do them any intentional harm. Owners must always remember they are still dogs and have to be treated as such. when the grand kids come over I put the dog down stairs for everybody's good. We can all learn something and that's what its all about. Thank's.

My son has two dogs I bring my dog up to his house, my granddaughter when she was crawling, would crawl over Rex and he would lay there and let her. When she became too much he would get up and leave the room.

I'm my opinion they need to learn what's acceptable, and if we lock them away they don't learn. But that's my opinion. I've always picked great dogs or maybe I raised them well.

I don't get bent out of shape with them, a steady even temperament is what animals need., and the word NO has to mean no.

My son has two dogs I bring my dog up to his house, my granddaughter when she was crawling, would crawl over Rex and he would lay there and let her. When she became too much he would get up and leave the room.

I'm my opinion they need to learn what's acceptable, and if we lock them away they don't learn. But that's my opinion. I've always picked great dogs or maybe I raised them well.

I don't get bent out of shape with them, a steady even temperament is what animals need., and the word NO has to mean no.
I completely agree, but In my case the kids bother the dog and I don't want the dog to bite them to make them stop being kids. Thanks

I’ve always read the body language of the other dogs and owners. It’s pretty easy to tell who wants to say hi and who doesn’t. And Gus has totally caught on and we have the same read. He never runs up on anybody and doesn’t push it. He also knows when he and other dogs are on the leash its not play time. So if they look like they want to say hi I ask and if they say ok it’s usually a quick greeting and off we go. No dog trainer has ever said to me it’s not appropriate to say hi if it’s ok.

That’s funny I forgot about skunks. At certain times of the year the roads around here are littered with them. About a month ago I was sitting in the front room and Gus went nuts and scrambled into the house(if it’s not raining the French door is open into the courtyard with a screen across it so he can go in and out). He was barking from the doorway so I went over and looked out and just through the orange tree halfway to the gate there was a skunk facing us with its tail up! I think he was totally relieved when I shooed him back and closed the door :) By the time I went to the front door to see if it was still there it was gone. Must have come in under the front gate and Gus heard it.

He’s a great watchdog but I think he barks because he is scared of everything. Gus being a good watchdog is not a bonus I at all expected. But he’s the only Portie I’ve ever had or even seen so I can’t say what’s usual for the breed. I know one of their jobs was to watch the boat while the fishermen’s onshore break. He’s the only real watchdog in the neighborhood and all the neighbors seem to appreciate that as he only barks if there’s somebody out front.

Back