Socialize your dog

Our dog is a rescue from a family that couldn’t keep her any longer. She’s a Jack Russell/Yorkie mix with a 95% Jack Russell alpha personality. When we got her 2-1/2 years ago she was already 4 years old. She was completely unsocialized. She was afraid of all people and other dogs. After exposure to the neighbors and family she’s much more outgoing and loves to visit any neighbor any time she sees them outside. She’s been around plenty of other dogs but still hasn’t made friends with any of them. She barks at them and wants to sniff but sniffing her isn’t allowed. She seems to want to play with a couple of the neighborhood dogs but hasn’t made the commitment yet.

She doesn’t play with toys. Her hobby is watching for and chasing squirrels. She’s a strange little dog but smart and lots of fun. I just wish she would get over her selective hearing.

Our dog is a rescue from a family that couldn’t keep her any longer. She’s a Jack Russell/Yorkie mix with a 95% Jack Russell alpha personality. When we got her 2-1/2 years ago she was already 4 years old. She was completely unsocialized. She was afraid of all people and other dogs. After exposure to the neighbors and family she’s much more outgoing and loves to visit any neighbor any time she sees them outside. She’s been around plenty of other dogs but still hasn’t made friends with any of them. She barks at them and wants to sniff but sniffing her isn’t allowed. She seems to want to play with a couple of the neighborhood dogs but hasn’t made the commitment yet.

She doesn’t play with toys. Her hobby is watching for and chasing squirrels. She’s a strange little dog but smart and lots of fun. I just wish she would get over her selective hearing.
Thanks for taking/saving the pup.

yep, Jack Russells are hunters for small burrowing animals. Squirrells don't have a chance with a Jack in the house.. it's just a matter of time.

Like Charles said thanks for adopting. I went through a string of rescues and every one was their own puzzle. But every one a wonderful dog in their own unique way. After my pit passed I was thinking I’m too old and too sad for another but my wife decided she was going to find me another dog as that is the ONLY cure for me.

Shortly after we lost ours the neighbors lost theirs and his wife decided like mine to find him a new one. They adopted a 6mo old what looks like a big chihuahua. She’s actually 70% chihuahua and 30% poodle. I didn’t know she was terrified of all dogs and is timid and kind of high strung. But she immediately loved Gus and she even has a special bark she does only when Gus comes to play. If Gus would hear him working in his shop he escape down there and he’d tell me where Gus was and they just go absolutely nuts for exactly 45min then he goes to the gate and wants to go home. It so regular we now have 2 sessions a week now on Tues and Thursday. Neighbors tell me she is a completely different dog now and is not scared of people and dogs. I had long ago given up on dogparks so this is the perfect thing for everyone.

Gus was already totally non aggressive but he did get two valuable lesson at the dog park early on. He started getting humpy and even though I’d yell at him he’d just get sneaky. One day he tried it on an old English bulldog and that guy want ballistic chasing him under a park bench and telling him off. Worked perfect no more humping. Another time we were coming out of the dog park and I wasn’t paying attention and he went up to a little girl of say 8-10? And she just walloped him. Needless to say he doesn’t get close to any little kid now. Teenagers and older no problem. He never makes a mistake twice.

yep, Jack Russells are hunters for small burrowing animals. Squirrells don't have a chance with a Jack in the house.. it's just a matter of time.
She ran up over one squirrel and had its rear haunches between her front legs but didn’t try to grab it. She hit another one from its side and rolled it. Lucky squirrels.

How is this thread 5 pages long and no pictures of pups?

Good points here for sure. I'm a new-ish dog owner (have 2 mixed breed rescues, 3.5y/o and 2y/o). Did a couple rounds of 6-week training courses with each of them they were adopted; it taught me more than it taught them! I have them in doggy daycare 1x/week, dog park 1x/week, etc. Was amazing how little I knew; should be a requirement for new owners.

PXL_20240304_204727721-EDIT.jpg

Good morning to all, great shot and story of keenas pups and thanks for saving those guys. here's a picture of my buddy. He's now 7 years old and his name is Dino. Thanks to all.3EFCC46A-9329-419E-B1B9-3909168E686C.jpeg

Back