Starter solenoid

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Was wondering if anyone knows offhand a similar more compact solenoid other than the old style chevy, basically the same , but smaller. Working on a project to hold the clutch pedal down, and it needs to have a pretty strong spring for release, but I have limited room.

If the solenoid can be mounted remotely one like this might work.

It has a 100% duty cycle so it can remain energized continually without burning out. A major application for this style is to keep the house batteries charged in motorhomes. They are usually wired in so that anytime the alternator is working the solenoid is energized allowing current to pass through to charge the house batteries. They come in different amp throughput ratings depending on the application.

Rough sketch, clutch down, actuated, notch around clutch pedal shaft, release button and spring pressure pushes the lever, releasing the clutch.
20230101_085524.jpg

are you looking for something to just hold the pedal down after it is pushed by the driver and then to release it?

are you looking for something to just hold the pedal down after it is pushed by the driver and then to release it?
Yes, see my sketch, looking for something dimensionally smaller.

an electro-magnet setup at the bottom to hold it down. there would need to be 2 flat plates at the bottom. I think a solenoid pulling a pin under pressure would be slower than side stepping the clutch

Actually, It would release with activation, my bad.

Stupid questions here.
What sort of clutch are you running? I take it the clutch is slow (?) in engaging?

Back