Starter solenoid

Stupid questions here.
What sort of clutch are you running? I take it the clutch is slow (?) in engaging?
Not a stupid question at all, and to be honest I can't tell you what type, I do know it's not a padded clutch, it's a single disc, in front of a clutchless 4 speed, friend of mine's car. 65 falcon with a 355 Chevy running 9.0, 1/4 mile, 3000lb car , naturally aspirated. A couple of the 4speed guys are doing this, and cutting better lights.

I'll assume he's also running a blow-proof bell housing. If so, he should look into having his clutch re-built or replaced with a 3 finger (instead of a diaphragm) type clutch. Should engage instantly.
Some old friends and I used to run a modified production car. The guy driving it would "side step" the clutch. Once we got the weasels out of it the times were pretty good. Nobody beat him out of the hole.

I have built similar systems to what you are trying to achieve. I used a relatively low pull solenoid to release a sear similar in action to what would be found in a crossbow or rifle. Here is one I designed for releasing my lathe half nuts.
Sear.JPG

Or...

Given a proper clutch is likely to have heavy springs, your latch will need substantial power to overcome it.

Your foot on the other hand...

Make a way of holding is like drawn above, but instead of electric just link it to a pad that your foot operates.

It can be out of the way to allow normal use.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Not a stupid question at all, and to be honest I can't tell you what type, I do know it's not a padded clutch, it's a single disc, in front of a clutchless 4 speed, friend of mine's car. 65 falcon with a 355 Chevy running 9.0, 1/4 mile, 3000lb car , naturally aspirated. A couple of the 4speed guys are doing this, and cutting better lights.
Maybe pneumatic right at the clutch fork?

Back