Starter solenoid

Nice light car. If I were trying a launch control, I'd convert to hydraulic clutch and use a line-lock (brake launch control) on the hydraulic line. Then I would use a needle valve or orifice restrictor in the line to slow the clutch release and make it tuneable. So depress the clutch, engage the lock, and push the button to launch. On bracket cars and top fuel, tuning the clutch release (or clutch pack engagement, like air-shifted Lenco type setups) is the key to getting the most traction, but even if it's not tuned perfectly it should be consistent.

I thought a little more about this, and figured out a hydraulic circuit that would work. Split the hydro line into two parallel circuits, one with a needle valve for damped engagement and the other with a brake check valve to facilitate fast disengagement when you stomp on the pedal. Then put the line lock in series with the rest. So it would be a controlled launch but still release like normal. You could plumb the needle valve to your dash for fine adjustment. Only issue with hydraulic clutches is they are temperature sensitive.

I thought a little more about this, and figured out a hydraulic circuit that would work. Split the hydro line into two parallel circuits, one with a needle valve for damped engagement and the other with a brake check valve to facilitate fast disengagement when you stomp on the pedal. Then put the line lock in series with the rest. So it would be a controlled launch but still release like normal. You could plumb the needle valve to your dash for fine adjustment. Only issue with hydraulic clutches is they are temperature sensitive.
I like the idea but the more I think about it the best and easiest solution just might be to remove the rubber pad on the pedal and sidestep it.

I like the idea but the more I think about it the best and easiest solution just might be to remove the rubber pad on the pedal and sidestep it.
We know, that sidestepping IS slower , and less consistent than conventional release, but anyway, took the local starter rebuilder all of 2 minutes to find one substantially smaller in dimension , so fabbing up a bracket shortly. The clutch is a 3 finger style with adjustment at the pressure plate, the car hooks good.

Sounds good. I would think the sidestepping is slower because of the linkage involved. Too many moving parts.

Last edited:
Back