Suggested Sticky

Loved the "Shelf Queen" idea. LOL I think this is a terrific worksheet. Gets at a lot of the basics.
Thanks David. Sometimes we can cut through a lot of the back and forth with a simple question. "Oh, so you want a shelf queen?" O.k., that actually helps narrow down dramatically what you would recommend. For sure it will eliminate 98% of what is on Craigslist. Now, if you arrive at, "Oh, so you want a shelf queen and want it for under $500?" Probably need some better questions and answers - or just cut bait.

Here's my draft input.
I like this a lot.
Thinking through my experience buying a lathe I echo what @davidpbest said about what type of work the person wants to do.
A year on, I'm not really better positioned to answer the question. I wonder if there's a way to create some general categories of work?
Gunsmithing seems to have some specific requirements.
Are there other types of work that have their own requirements?

I like this a lot.
Thinking through my experience buying a lathe I echo what @davidpbest said about what type of work the person wants to do.
A year on, I'm not really better positioned to answer the question. I wonder if there's a way to create some general categories of work?
Gunsmithing seems to have some specific requirements.
Are there other types of work that have their own requirements?
Pen making, I am sure a 13x36 or 14x40 would work, but why ?

I'm getting the vibe that asking someone to answer some questions can seem intimidating. Really?

Would adding an explanation that "I don't know" is an acceptable answer serve to assuage the fear?
IDKs would guide the further discussion as effectively as a definitive answer.

Not sure why, but I'm not receiving notifications of updates to this thread like I do on others...

Anyhow, here is another contribution. I have been comparing machines for ~ 6 mos now. Here are the ones I've looked at in spread sheet format. I didn't put every detail, and there's no easy way to compare the packages of what you can get with the lathe, but I think it's pretty comprehensive when comparing capabilities of the lathe itself.

I've been focused on the upper end, so maybe someone who knows the smaller / less expensive lathes could fill in the info on those.

Again, for some reason sight doesn't let me post microsoft excell spread sheets, so I converted to word perfect.

Attachments

• Lathe Comparison.docx
    17.5 KB · Views: 5
I think the more detailed guide idea is a great idea, and I like the idea of having a part of the forum specifically for buying a machine. That makes it easier to search, and those who don't want to deal with all the questions can easily avoid them. I'm just saying it is a delicate balance between helping new people write their "what to buy" questions better, and dropping a knowledge bomb on them.

Some people are very good about researching a new thing. These people may find a guide very helpful, I know I would have. Other people just don't, and kind of have to be walked through the steps. Some maybe too lazy and want to be spoon fed, but I think many just have a hard time sorting through a bunch of variables, and making sense of them.

This is kind of interesting timing as I recently started putting together a post on buying a mini-lathe for a model site I am on. The subject comes up over there several times a year and tends to retread the same ground without ever going into any depth. They mostly just turn into a recommendation to buy a Sherline because that is what most of the guys who own a lathe for model making own. It isn't that I disagree with that recommendation (I own one myself after all), just that there are other options and particularly for those with a tight budget, cheaper options that might work for them. As I started to go into it, wow is there a lot that has to be gotten out of the way just to start explaining the difference between the common choices and that is just keeping it to the under 10" size lathes.

As far as the people who ask a question and are never seen again (did they even read any of the answers) or those who seem to be playing some sort of mind game, not sure there is much to do with them. There are always going to be jerks, and people who thrive on conflict.
Since you recently looked at the smaller end, maybe you can expand the spread sheet I just posted with info on those lathes?

Not sure why, but I'm not receiving notifications of updates to this thread like I do on others...

Anyhow, here is another contribution. I have been comparing machines for ~ 6 mos now. Here are the ones I've looked at in spread sheet format. I didn't put every detail, and there's no easy way to compare the packages of what you can get with the lathe, but I think it's pretty comprehensive when comparing capabilities of the lathe itself.

I've been focused on the upper end, so maybe someone who knows the smaller / less expensive lathes could fill in the info on those.

Again, for some reason sight doesn't let me post microsoft excell spread sheets, so I converted to word perfect.

I've actually been working on something similar for the 10" and less size.

Also you may not be getting notices because I think we have mostly moved over to the Working Group thread

Personally I think a beginners guide to machining would be the best. It could list different machines, their uses and tooling required. Maybe even arrange it in sections for zero experience, novice, advanced etc.

Back