Suggested Sticky

Yeah, so maybe I went overboard...so maybe I like to type....yeah, maybe I actually LIKE checklists!!! ;)

I don't think you did, Bryan. Actually, the stuff you, ArmyDoc and extropic came up with was exactly what we need to know from these new guys. We just need to decide on how to package it.

I have a medical thing I need to attend to right now but I'll get back here soon. Not me, someone else, but it can't wait.

I don't think you did, Bryan. Actually, the stuff you, ArmyDoc and extropic came up with was exactly what we need to know from these new guys. We just need to decide on how to package it.

I have a medical thing I need to attend to right now but I'll get back here soon. Not me, someone else, but it can't wait.
Hope it is nothing major.

Maybe someone with some writing skills can come up with a suggestion to new members to a read "this" before asking what they need to buy ?

Last edited:
This is why this site works. There is a lot of what most people would call "mandatory" reading available here at H-M, but NOBODY is demanding that of anyone.

I'm not suggesting a buyer's guide is mandatory but consider the following...

A user has a list of features and intentions well stated and laid out. Wants to purchase a CNC hobby lathe to start a side business. An experience user asks him how much experience he has with tooling, speeds and feeds. Answer: zero, I'm a newb. O.k., cool you may want to check out this link about speeds and feeds before we start making suggestions...

or...

A user has a few years of experience, doesn't really know what material he is going to be working with, but knows he will need X size spindle motor, etc., etc. in order to be successful. Wants to know what people think of three mills in this class of machine?

My point is many of these questions often don't require a checklist or buyers guide, but just interaction at the right level like you suggest. However, I do think that it would be better, but not mandatory, if new members with NO experience took five minutes to answer a couple of questions before they start the rapid fire and speculation.

Also, I'm going to rant a little here and I don't think this was mentioned, but we have had a fair share of people come on and ask for advice about things they demonstrate they know NOTHING about and then go on to explain everything there is to know about the answers to their questions. These are the threads I try to steer clear of, but I think members would waste a lot less time and effort indulging those types of new members if we had a survey/questionnaire sort of tool to use.

I think the more detailed guide idea is a great idea, and I like the idea of having a part of the forum specifically for buying a machine. That makes it easier to search, and those who don't want to deal with all the questions can easily avoid them. I'm just saying it is a delicate balance between helping new people write their "what to buy" questions better, and dropping a knowledge bomb on them.

Some people are very good about researching a new thing. These people may find a guide very helpful, I know I would have. Other people just don't, and kind of have to be walked through the steps. Some maybe too lazy and want to be spoon fed, but I think many just have a hard time sorting through a bunch of variables, and making sense of them.

This is kind of interesting timing as I recently started putting together a post on buying a mini-lathe for a model site I am on. The subject comes up over there several times a year and tends to retread the same ground without ever going into any depth. They mostly just turn into a recommendation to buy a Sherline because that is what most of the guys who own a lathe for model making own. It isn't that I disagree with that recommendation (I own one myself after all), just that there are other options and particularly for those with a tight budget, cheaper options that might work for them. As I started to go into it, wow is there a lot that has to be gotten out of the way just to start explaining the difference between the common choices and that is just keeping it to the under 10" size lathes.

As far as the people who ask a question and are never seen again (did they even read any of the answers) or those who seem to be playing some sort of mind game, not sure there is much to do with them. There are always going to be jerks, and people who thrive on conflict.

We should also incorporate a link to shop safety, most new folks don't know how these machine want to hurt or kill them.
I know my flat belt SB9C can hurt me bad, if I let it.

We should also incorporate a link to shop safety, most new folks don't know how these machine want to hurt or kill them.
I know my flat belt SB9C can hurt me bad, if I let it.
There is a whole 'nother sub-forum for that. Lots of fun videos too.

Thanks Mikey, I joke, of course as I see no other reason not to most of the time.

There is a good balance point, I'm sure we will attempt to find.

Best wishes on the medical issues, hope everything goes your way.

Guys I put in a sandbox for us to play in. It is not visible to other members unless you follow this link to the test sandbox.

This is in the Practice Forum and is live. Please be aware that other members who are unaware of what we are talking about may stumble into this thread so please be transparent in what we are doing and understanding. I already had a member follow me from the chat room into the thread and tried to answer my nonsensical test posts. :)

Hey Guys. I just now got wind of this, and I'd like to contribute if it would help. Six years ago I came to this forum with a goal to buy a lathe, and as I reflect back now, two things strike me: 1) I had no idea how to express what I wanted and what I didn't know, and 2) I received amazing support and council from this group and ultimately bought a machine that was exactly the right fit. As a newbie, I was desperate for a structured way to go about the decision process, Without this group, I would probably have traded out three times by now. But and as helpful as the feedback was, it was certainly a random walk. So some kind of structure would be very beneficial to anyone new hankering to buy some equipment and get started.

Today I find myself helping people select lathes and mills weekly, and publishing a book on lathe tooling for the newbie (see attached). So I'd like to contribute however I can. I will read some of the attachments already posted to catch up, but I like the tenor of what's going on here. Let me know what I can do to help.

Attachments

• IndexableLatheTooling.jpg
    IndexableLatheTooling.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
OK, I read over the attachments from extropic and Armydoc, and there's some good thinking going on. The biggest challenge I see is how to get to the bottom of the "what do you want to make" question. Six years ago I would have said "I have no idea, I'm looking for a general purpose machine to do a variety of things." Today of course, I know exactly how to answer that question, but I didn't then. If someone can clearly define what they intend to produce, then the equipment choice flows pretty easily. But in the absence of knowing the "what" it occurs to me there might be an alternative question dealing with motivation for buying the machine. I see a few categories here:

I'm a weekend warrior, want to fix things and tinker.
I'm thinking this will be a serious hobby (I'm retiring), so I'm looking for enrichment, learning, and creative outlet.
I have a sideline interest in (automotive restoration, bike customization, model making, whatever) and want a machine to support that mostly.
I want to learn this craft along with my kids as a family thing.
I have an idea for a product to build and sell, so I see this as a money-making endeavor.
I like fixing up old machines so I'm really interested in something to customize and take to the county fair to show off.

Thinking back, I found a lot of the terminology thrown around pretty confusing. For over a week I labored to understand the difference between an "Engine Lathe" a "Toolroom Lathe" and a "Precision Lathe" and ultimately decided it was all BS. A lot of the terms used to describe components of a lathe are also pretty unhelpful - like "compound" and "banjo" and "change gears" and acronyms abound like QCTP, PDB, 5C, ER32, Chucker, Indexable. A glossary that cuts through a lot of this jargon in very practical ways would be immensely helpful. Maybe it already exists, but I couldn't find it six years ago.

Back