Suggested Sticky

I can start a Google document but I will need people to PM me with their personal emails to stay in accordance with forum rules.

Was also thinking that Google Hangouts might work for chat.

Going to go out on a limb...if people are game...I have a Discord server that I use for Staff members when we need to talk and not go back and forth via posts.

Discord is secure, VERY easy to install on a Windows computer and I can share my screen so we can build a form together, chat, utilize audio and video if you choose to do so.

I will still need emails to send the Discord invite to.

The modern way to do this would be with a bot that looks at post content and count, then makes suggestions to the poster for how to improve their post.

ie. “I see you’re asking what kind of lathe to buy, if you put this [.....] information in your post then [.....]”

I don’t mind answering basic questions because honestly those are usually the only ones I have enough experience for ;)

John

I think the check-a-box format, proposed by Bryan, is great for a professional atmosphere where participants are sincere and have basic knowledge. However, it's too easy to check a box without giving any indication of commitment or knowledge.

The reason I suggest a relatively open ended format is it requires the requester to think and work a bit. It may cull out the impulse posters who aren't really serious or going to follow through with the thread. Sometimes I suspect threads are started by persons testing how many replies they can get to a non-specific or most basic question. I respect the input (time/knowledge/effort) of our contributors and desire that respect be shown by requesters. Replies to a more open ended worksheet should let us know as much about the requester as about the requirements.

I have reread my draft worksheet, from last night, and realized that a few sections didn't include a question. I have revised it so each section has at least one question. I've also added a couple of sections, which has blown my one page max goal, lol.

Attachments

• Hobby Manual Lathe Pre-Purchase Worksheet (V2).docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 14
What about a simple decision tree as the first port of call to guide the observer towards the section of the major chart.
IE, a bunch of yes/no questions that when answered might say read section 5 on the main info.
That section may contain a list of common lathes with their main attributes.

I think the idea of a lathe buyers guide is a worthwhile project, but I agree with John, that it could very much give the appearance that this place is like the places that many of us came here to get away from.

To their credit, a site not to be named, but I'm sure you know of which I speak did me a big favor by blacklisting discussion of the lathes I was interested in when I starting out, so I wasted no time joining that site (I do lurk and read though). This place seemed far more open and friendly to the inexperienced.

What message do we send by asking people to read a booklet before asking about their options for machines to buy.

A simple list of details that are needed to start down the path is a much softer entry point and strikes me as more friendly, "Hey we are here to help, but we need some basic information to do that."

Telling them to go read a multi-page guide before asking for guidance on a machine purchase is getting awfully close to telling them to use the search function or go to ebay and buy a used machining text book. Having it available is a good thing, making it mandatory not so much.

I get it, sometimes I burn out on these posts too. I guess when that becomes to much for an individual, take a break. We have lots of members who will step up. I tend to focus on those who sound like they are within my zone of experience, small spaces and small machines, and less when they sound like they are looking for something bigger.

Having it available is a good thing, making it mandatory not so much.

We have lots of members who will step up. I tend to focus on those who sound like they are within my zone of experience, small spaces and small machines, and less when they sound like they are looking for something bigger.

This is why this site works. There is a lot of what most people would call "mandatory" reading available here at H-M, but NOBODY is demanding that of anyone.

I'm not suggesting a buyer's guide is mandatory but consider the following...

A user has a list of features and intentions well stated and laid out. Wants to purchase a CNC hobby lathe to start a side business. An experience user asks him how much experience he has with tooling, speeds and feeds. Answer: zero, I'm a newb. O.k., cool you may want to check out this link about speeds and feeds before we start making suggestions...

or...

A user has a few years of experience, doesn't really know what material he is going to be working with, but knows he will need X size spindle motor, etc., etc. in order to be successful. Wants to know what people think of three mills in this class of machine?

My point is many of these questions often don't require a checklist or buyers guide, but just interaction at the right level like you suggest. However, I do think that it would be better, but not mandatory, if new members with NO experience took five minutes to answer a couple of questions before they start the rapid fire and speculation.

Also, I'm going to rant a little here and I don't think this was mentioned, but we have had a fair share of people come on and ask for advice about things they demonstrate they know NOTHING about and then go on to explain everything there is to know about the answers to their questions. These are the threads I try to steer clear of, but I think members would waste a lot less time and effort indulging those types of new members if we had a survey/questionnaire sort of tool to use.

A simple list of details that are needed to start down the path is a much softer entry point and strikes me as more friendly, "Hey we are here to help, but we need some basic information to do that."

This is where I thought we might go with this but it's been interesting to see the ideas the guys have been coming up with.

This is where I thought we might go with this but it's been interesting to see the ideas the guys have been coming up with.
Yeah, so maybe I went overboard...so maybe I like to type....yeah, maybe I actually LIKE checklists!!! ;)

Back