The Eifel Plierench...what most people have been missing!

Lbrewer42

Registered
Registered
The Eifel plierench is no longer made. It is my go to tool when I need pliers or any job requiring a gripping tool b/c there is no gripping effort from my hand while using the tool due to the fact the plierench's internal gears are what holds the item (very firmly - "1 ton grip").

I suspect the reason this tool is not in everyone's tool box is that it has a 30 second learning curve to it. People pick it up thinking they just squeeze like normal pliers and cannot get it to work. It's a shame b/c the mechanical advantage this design gives is amazing.

Advantages:
1. Internal gear and rack gear mechanism securely holds an item in the jaws giving an impossible grip strength when compared to other tools.
2. The internal gears erase the need for your effort in making a strong grip with your hand - no squeezing.
3. The handles can be adjusted after the grip is set to be close together no matter how wide the item being gripped.
4. Interchangeable jaws for different jobs:
a. Normal plier-job type jaw.
b. Longer jaw for Channel Lock type work.
c. Spreading jaw
d. Pipe cutting jaw (like copper plumbing pipe).
e. Spring making (and wire bending) jaw.
5. Cons:
a. It has an initial 30 seconds to a minute to learn how to set the jaws to take advantage of the tool's gripping power.
b. Like a Channel Lock pliers (or the modern Knipex with push button), it takes two hand to set the jaw to proper width.

Since these are antiques, the instructions for using them are hard to find without paying a lot to buy an old brochure if it comes up on eBay.
So I made and attached a graphic telling step by step instructions for using these. I also included a picture of the set of available jaws (those marked with a white star are the ones I use most). Then you will find a picture of the pipe cutting jaw and its special clip installed on a plierench. After that is a handle clamp (I do not have one) used to hold the handles together (thus keeping the gears engaged and your item clamped) so the plierench can be used like a makeshift small vise. I find a rubber band works well for this!

And lastly is a Rumble.com video link of a video I hastily made showing the procedure in my "Eifel plierench Step-by-Step Giude" graphic.

Unfortunately Rumble.com is not a source capable of being embedded in the forum software, and I won't use the anti-free speech youtube for it's role in Nov. 2020 and it's censoring (and posting "corrections" on every video with) political views not in align with their own political agenda.)

Here is the video link: Eifel Plierench, by far it's worth the tiny learning curve - click here to view the short video.

Attachments

• Eifel_Plierench_Step_by_Step_Guide.jpg
    Eifel_Plierench_Step_by_Step_Guide.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 122
  • Eifel_Jaw_Set.jpg
    Eifel_Jaw_Set.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Metal_Clip_Pipe_JawOPT180.jpg
    Metal_Clip_Pipe_JawOPT180.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Plierench_handle_clamp.jpg
    Plierench_handle_clamp.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
More notes:
There is a large size and a small size plierench and a smaller size that can be bought. I have two of each and use them for everything.

I recommend the Eifel Flash (not all of them are called the Eifel Flash) b/c it is an older, and heavier construction. But that is preference. When they sold the rights to Vaco, the width of the jaws used for gripping was thinned down. They still are incredible to use, but I like the Eifel Flash's normal jaw beefiness better.

Of my two large pair, one is a flash and one (well - two actually) is (are) not. One is a Vaco, but the other is Eifel made. The Flash has jaws where their rack-groove's bottom edge are angled. The newer Eifel jaws have straight grooves on their rack-geared bottom. So they jaws for these two models are not interchangeable.

I do not know what year the change in grooves took place.

On the face of Eifel plierenches (not the Eifel Flash model though) is a lot of writing that includes the date they were made and the cost. The picture in the last post showing the pipe cutters in place has 3-59 on it meaning March of 1959.

Efiel plierenches were somewhat expensive back when they were produced - which also might be why they were not in every toolbox.

I would gladly pay 50.00 for one of these and the set of jaws if that was the cheapest I could get them for. Thankfully ebay auctions have come down in price b/c more plerenches are being listed and selling since I started my interest in them 5-6 years ago.

The spreader jaw is not used much but when I need it, it is invaluable. Unlike the other jaws, the spreader is loaded from the outside edge of the tool above the spring loaded handle.

The spring making jaw is one I have not yet used to make springs. The instructions are a bit vague and the drawings not all that useful.

One of the Eifel selling points used to be showing how you can use the spring making/wire bending jaw to bend a loop in the end of a large spike. Trying this stunt with normal pliers (Chanel Locks etc) would make the nails resistance be fighting against your muscles trying o keep the grip on the nail tight.

With the plierench the nail's resistance is pushing on the gear and rack gear mechanism and not your hand. So keeping it gripped is not issue. Leveraging your arm around to bend the loop is how the job is accomplished. While it takes both hands to push, against the nail to force it into a loop, I tried it and it worked.

I use these when using a bench top wire wheel. There is no way, no matter how hard I push against the wheel, that the 1 ton grip is going to be broken and the part go flying. And I can use a rubber band to hold the handles together if I wish while doing this job.

I am always finding jobs that would have been much more hard and used more tools had I never heard of this plierench. I keep saying it sure would have been nice to know of it 30-40 years ago. There has been a lot of wasted time and effort on my part this tool would have taken care of.

I have kept records of dates I have seen stamped on ebay auction units for quite awhile, ad have taken screenshots of a lot of brochures etc. But the above is all a good summary of pretty much all that I have found.

Mr. Eifel was as wordy in marketing his product as I am here (and moreso!). If you ever see a pair of these at a garage sale etc. for cheap - definitely give it a try.

All my friends I have shown mine to, and how I use them, have gotten one off of ebay and like/use them. They had ebay notify them every day of new listings so they could find one with multiple jaws (again- look at the pic above of the jaws and see the ones I have marked with a white star as the ones I consider essential and use b/c the older units did not have some of those since they had not yet been invented).

Even if you pick one up and don't wait for an auction with multiple jaws, its' well worth owning/using IMO.

Let me know if there are questions. I have tried to anticipate!

Last edited:
My dad is a huge fan of the Eifel Flash, and has a pile of them. He has one in every tool kit, keeps one in his car, and has several stashed around the house where they are handy.

I did not know about these Eifel plierench… very interesting design…

Now I am going to have to fight with other forum members biding on these in eBay :D :grin big:

I am trying to get a set of Knipex pliers, have had them on my Amazon wishlist for awhile… I have even give hints to my wife when it is close to my birthday, but she does not bite… :D

I finally gave in and bought one a few years back and was surprised at how small it was, lol. Of course I went with the least expensive so that was their smallest one… It went into my motorcycle toolkit… What a great functioning plier…

IMG-9074.jpg

Last edited:
Knipex is a great tool line. This is the way tools should be made IMHO.
I don't personally own a set of Knipex pliers, but I know from seeing the reviews that they are a great tool!

Quality is also why I like the plierench. They were made back when "Made an America" meant the highest possible quality. I think had most people known of, and been using, the plierench that modern tools like the Knipex pliers would have had a harder time being sold. Basically they are a good deriviative technology of one (Channel Lock) type job/usage of the plierench.

Last edited:
I’d never seen a Plierench. Now I gotta have one, if for no other reason, they’re so funky looking.
I’ve had a FACOM 181 pliers for years. They’re my go to pliers.
Very similar to the Knipex plier wachuko lusted after.
they are made in France.
oddly enough, I carry a Duk-Duk pocket knife also made in France.

Attachments

• E24C26A5-EBBC-4716-9941-B61654FA3866.jpeg
    E24C26A5-EBBC-4716-9941-B61654FA3866.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 30
Back