The Eifel Plierench...what most people have been missing!

And now a correction! What I was calling the normal jaw is actually a specialized one b/c of its layout. They call it the Universal jaw. It does not have a typical series of grooves for gripping, but rather a starburst patters. The (terrible picture of the) attached page explains it: And this actually is the one I use the most:

The second picture is the March 1959 set I have that I restored to factory new condition. This is one of the ones I mentioned where the jaws that came with it a thinner then the Flash jaws. It still works fine though. And I do like the red handle grips, but, really, since the nature of this tool means there is no wear and tear on your hand, they are redundant.

Attachments

• Eifel_Plierench_Documentation_19.jpg
    Eifel_Plierench_Documentation_19.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 22
  • Eifel_3-1959_Resto_Pic_Opt136.jpg
    Eifel_3-1959_Resto_Pic_Opt136.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 20
Picked up one of the 12" Knipex pliers with a few other nice tools dirt cheap form some wealthy woman cleaning out her condo garage in town. Way nicer tool than my Channellocks, although I do love my big Channellocks when they are required. Guess I will wait for the fierce bidding to calm down before looking for this new toy. ;) Mike
Knipex is a great tool line. This is the way tools should be made IMHO.

Congrats on getting the new toys! Enjoy exploring how to use them.

I also remembered I have used mine to pull out broken off drill bits rather easily.

I learned from Scoutcrafter (youtube tool restorer) that a mirror-like finish will keep tools highly resistant to rusting. So if you guys are going to clean yours up, the easiest way I know of is first using a bench grinder setup with a wire wheel. Then following that with a nylon fiber polishing/buffing wheel really makes a HUGE difference in the finish.

When you use one of those fiber wheels the first time, you find yourself tempted to use it on all your tools b/c the difference is that dramatic. When I got mine they were only 2.99 each, but now they are up to 10.00 (if you shop around) with a lot of them listed at 15.00-20.00. The wheels come in different grits just like sandpaper and I think the last one I got was medium.

Looking back at the restored plierench I posted with the red handles, this is the technique I used. Very fast restoration and you can see the results are dramatic.

The restored Flash I posted was before I knew of the fiber wheels, and I used a wire wheel, sanding it on a small belt sander, and then a buffing wheel with three different compounds. It took quite a bit longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn’t need cleanup. It’s a black oxide finish that looks perfect as it is. I’m assuming June of ‘55 from what I see stamped.

57E177B5-02FC-44AB-85A2-EE36BCA95A96.jpeg

Rick “but the canvas pouch is grotty” Denney

Last edited:
Mine came today. I was rather surprised that the jaws did not line up perfectly. The wrench does not seem to be bent, but there is also a little more slop than I expected.
As a side note, my wrench has a very distinctive blue hue to it, very similar to what was/is on my old Remington 870 shotgun. I am thinking that the originals were possibly blued from the factory.
PXL_20221031_175441308.jpgPXL_20221031_175409977.jpgPXL_20221031_175343260.jpgPXL_20221031_175335474.jpgPXL_20221031_172825840.jpg

Back