The Voron kit build thread

Some Progress... That build plate is heavy! Probably a good thing it doesn't move on this printer..

1701065106863.png

The workbench is a bit high for working on the upper portions of this printer, so I have a low surface available when needed. This consists of a board across a couple of 5 gallon buckets, though perhaps I will snag a low "kids" table that we have. So I have a choice of work heights. In my office I've been using an old adjustable height chair to hold a small work surface, having height adjustment is useful and it also rotates and moves around easily. I could use a step to get higher, but it is easier and safer to make the printer lower. Next will be the A/B drives for XY motion, but I'm going to do some calibration on my Trident that is printing the ABS before printing those parts, and it will take a good chunk of today for that plus the printing to complete. I like printing on demand, so I don't print a lot of extra parts and can make adjustments as needed, and a failed print doesn't ruin a large bed of parts at once. I had a couple of adhesion failures that didn't waste a lot of time or plastic as they would have if printing a full bed. It's also cold and running the printer helps keep the room warm. One printer doesn't make much difference, but two or more do help warm the room. :)

In case folks haven't seen it, Ellis' Print Tuning Guide is an excellent source of printer calibration and tuning information.

In case folks haven't seen it, Ellis' Print Tuning Guide is an excellent source of printer calibration and tuning information.

Yes, It is highly recommended. I went through it step by step within days of getting my Voron running last year. My printer runs like a champ and produces good prints, and that tuning guide is a good part of the reason why.

I noticed that there were some Pi4 1GB boards available from various sources, and I checked my two operating Vorons for memory usage. The highest current usage is 0.22GB. The Voron folks say 0.5GB is enough memory for a Voron running Klipper, so the 1GB Pi4 is more than enough and at $35 a good buy (the Pi3B+ costs the same, I'd rather have the 4B-1G). I have been using the Pi4 2GB units but those have more memory than needed for most applications and cost more. Octoprint also runs in the 0.5GB Pi Zero 2 W so the Pi4 1GB is adequate there too. Nice to have these options again.

The Pi Zero only has one USB which is generally enough for Octoprint usage but for a Voron more USB ports may be needed so the four ports on a Pi3 or Pi4 make things easier. On my VZero.2 I'm using 3 USB ports - one for the controller, one for the toolhead board, and one for the display board. The Trident uses a DSI display so only using one USB there, but other USB ports may be desired for camera or accelerometer PC boards.

I noticed that there were some Pi4 1GB boards available from various sources, and I checked my two operating Vorons for memory usage. The highest current usage is 0.22GB. The Voron folks say 0.5GB is enough memory for a Voron running Klipper, so the 1GB Pi4 is more than enough and at $35 a good buy (the Pi3B+ costs the same, I'd rather have the 4B-1G). I have been using the Pi4 2GB units but those have more memory than needed for most applications and cost more. Octoprint also runs in the 0.5GB Pi Zero 2 W so the Pi4 1GB is adequate there too. Nice to have these options again.

The Pi Zero only has one USB which is generally enough for Octoprint usage but for a Voron more USB ports may be needed so the four ports on a Pi3 or Pi4 make things easier. On my VZero.2 I'm using 3 USB ports - one for the controller, one for the toolhead board, and one for the display board. The Trident uses a DSI display so only using one USB there, but other USB ports may be desired for camera or accelerometer PC boards.

I'm glad to see that availability is getting better.

Currently, i have two Raspberry Pi CM4s in Pi4B adapter boards, A BTT CB1 in a Pi4B adapter board, and a Orange Pi4 LTS.

I've been using the OrangePi 4lts as a desktop PC. It actually makes a pretty good one for word processing, surfing the net. The CM4s and the BTT CB1 are in a drawer, as backups.

Which CM4 adapters have you used? I have a few CM4's that I snagged during the shortage that I may want some for. Unfortunately it raises the cost to buy an expensive adapter for a not-cheap CM4, but it does give emmc and might as well use them. I have one Manta controller for a printer project that hasn't been put together yet. The Pi4 1GB I ordered this morning has already shipped. I always kept a Pi or two on the shelf but since this shortage I've wanted to deepen the inventory. I was looking the other day and there are 16 Pi's in service or configured as spares here. They sneak into many projects over the years... Two GPS NTP servers are Pi's, one is set up with a DAC and chrontab for our clock radio, one by the TV we use for streaming, three in printers, one for DNS service, one is in a clock - those $10 Pi Zero W's were inexpensive enough to put in lots of projects, now the least expensive Pi is $15 and the $4 - $6 Pi Picos are taking over the low end projects that don't need Linux.

I'm glad to see that availability is getting better.

Currently, i have two Raspberry Pi CM4s in Pi4B adapter boards, A BTT CB1 in a Pi4B adapter board, and a Orange Pi4 LTS.

I've been using the OrangePi 4lts as a desktop PC. It actually makes a pretty good one for word processing, surfing the net. The CM4s and the BTT CB1 are in a drawer, as backups.

Which CM4 adapters have you used? I have a few CM4's that I snagged during the shortage that I may want some for. Unfortunately it raises the cost to buy an expensive adapter for a not-cheap CM4, but it does give emmc and might as well use them. I have one Manta controller for a printer project that hasn't been put together yet. The Pi4 1GB I ordered this morning has already shipped. I always kept a Pi or two on the shelf but since this shortage I've wanted to deepen the inventory. I was looking the other day and there are 16 Pi's in service or configured as spares here. They sneak into many projects over the years... Two GPS NTP servers are Pi's, one is set up with a DAC and chrontab for our clock radio, one by the TV we use for streaming, three in printers, one for DNS service, one is in a clock - those $10 Pi Zero W's were inexpensive enough to put in lots of projects, now the least expensive Pi is $15 and the $4 - $6 Pi Picos are taking over the low end projects that don't need Linux.

I have two of the BTT Pi4b adapters. One with a CM4 in it and the other with a CB1.
This one:

And a CM4 in the Waveshare Pi4b adapter:

They both work pretty well, but I like the Waveshare version better. It has one, big, easy to access switch for flashing the EMMC. The BTT version has 4 tiny little dip switches that have to be switched with something like a toothpick and magnifying glass. They are super tiny.

On the Waveshare version, you can flip it with your fingers.

Pretty neat. The 7$ ADXL354 chip worked as advertised.

After running the x and y resonance tests, I was able to run the script in putty to generate .png images from the .csv files. The graphs recommend the best shaper mode and frequency for the X and Y axes.

After a ringing tower before/after test, i can say with certainty that it does make a difference, albeit in my case, a fairly small one. My printer didn't have much ringing before using the input shaper, it was barely noticeable. But now, at the same speeds and accelerations there is none.

shaper_calibrate_x.png
shaper_calibrate_y.png

Ken226, I'm considering trying Alibre. How do you like it? Something else I should consider instead? Looks like you are an experienced user.

Last edited:
Back