Tough, tough couple of weeks for me

My condolences on the loss of your mom. Like you and many of the others here I lost my folks, but you never loose the love and the memories. I look at my folks wedding picture most days, and thank God for the time I was granted with them. They still inspire and keep me on the path. All the best, Mike

The long and short of it is my mother passed today, after being in hospice for five days. Prior to that she had been in the hospital for about a week. She had a stroke and had deteriorated rapidly. Unfortunately, the stroke affected her throat and she was unable to swallow or to prevent food from coming up and into her lungs. Have to say it was one of the more painful experiences for me, (and obviously for her) to watch her wasting away. The Lord finally took mercy on her and took her this morning. I've not been here much, simply because I wanted to spend as much time with her as I possibly could.

I'm really not one for exposing my pain or sorrow in public, but here I am. What makes this harder for me, is it is nearly 4 years to the day that my father passed. It's hard being thrust into the position of patriarch and "chief adult" of the family, but it is my duty to my family. Still working out all the details, and trying to get all the family gathered. So I may be a little bit out of sorts for a while, but I hope to start the grieving and recovery process. There's obviously more to do, but I won't bore you with the details.

Thanks for being here. You are my other family. To be honest, I think you all are better behaved at times. :)
Sorry for you loss.

I'm sorry you lost your mom. Life just isn't very fair. The best thing one can hope for is to live a rectangular life,
being here today, gone tomorrow. The other more depressing scenario is to live a triangular life slowly being squeezed into
a corner in misery and or suffering for years.

The long and short of it is my mother passed today, after being in hospice for five days. Prior to that she had been in the hospital for about a week. She had a stroke and had deteriorated rapidly. Unfortunately, the stroke affected her throat and she was unable to swallow or to prevent food from coming up and into her lungs. Have to say it was one of the more painful experiences for me, (and obviously for her) to watch her wasting away. The Lord finally took mercy on her and took her this morning. I've not been here much, simply because I wanted to spend as much time with her as I possibly could.

I'm really not one for exposing my pain or sorrow in public, but here I am. What makes this harder for me, is it is nearly 4 years to the day that my father passed. It's hard being thrust into the position of patriarch and "chief adult" of the family, but it is my duty to my family. Still working out all the details, and trying to get all the family gathered. So I may be a little bit out of sorts for a while, but I hope to start the grieving and recovery process. There's obviously more to do, but I won't bore you with the details.

Thanks for being here. You are my other family. To be honest, I think you all are better behaved at times. :)

So very sorry for your loss. prayers offered

I'm nearly overwhelmed by the level of caring and support here. We have such a wonderful group of kind souls on this board. There's tough days ahead, but there's yet a serenity that Mom's suffering is over.

@WobblyHand
Bruce, I am sorry to hear about your loss.
Her suffering is over.

It's hard being thrust into the position of patriarch and "chief adult" of the family, but it is my duty to my family.
Don't forget your duty to yourself too.
You cannot help anyone else if you don't take care of you.
There is now more to look after, but you need time to grieve too.

It's been difficult. I had a very bad time when my father passed - we used to do lots of off the wall science experiments together, some of which might be considered irresponsible, I suppose, these days, but he taught me where those lines were, and how to be safely behind them. Along the way I learned a lot about physics, electronics, science and chemistry. Oh, this is was when I was in my teens. There's not a day when I don't think of him, as one of the greatest things I learned from him was how to learn new things.

My mom taught me different things, but they were equally important. I am forever grateful for her immense love and kindness, and putting up with most (not all!) of my shenanigans. My practical chemistry experiments really had her quite alarmed. Dad was both laughing and proud of his son...

It sounds like both your parents showed you where the various limit lines were.
Undoubtedly out of love; love for you and love for learning.
That's one lesson you'll never lose.

Be well!
Brian

Back