Transfering/ laying out holes for adapter plate.

Sounds good when I read it, lol
Im going to have to get a compass the small one in my desk only spreads to 3”
Cover the area where the circle will be be with layout fluid or a Sharpie so the scribe lines will be easier to see. Lightly punch the center so the compass leg doesn't stray as you're scribng the circle. You should come out OK Through holes and counterbores are usually sloghtly oversized to allow for some misregistration. .

This kind of stuff really intrigues me. I love it! I don't know it very well but it sure is interesting. This is one thing I regret not learning in high school, I had the opportunity to, I just never thought would need it.

Here is a Joe Pie YouTube that might help. Although between RJ and Pontiac you should get.
Been watching Pie since I got the lathe. This how ever just left me with ok so now what? Lol

do you already have a chuck for the lathe?
if you do, make a center plug for your new chuck. put a light center dimple in it using the tailstock and a centering drill.
Now you have a place to put your compass, and now it should be easier to create the layout.
You might want to do the same for your spindle hole, so you can verify center to hole and arcs..
What John (@pontiac428) showed is how we did it long, long ago, and works quite well. I still swing arcs for many layouts (especially for wood working) because that's how I learned it.
I was gifted this 5” 4 jaw indy. It bolts on with 4 bolts from the front.
My lathe has a fixed flange that has 3 mounting holes from the rear.
Theres to much interference to machine the index and drill the back side of the 4 jaw.

Its looking like between rounding up stock and buying more stuff might be easier to sell this chuck and buy the factory unit?

Attachments

• EEA2E651-AFF8-42CF-9985-29337D5EFC58.jpeg
    EEA2E651-AFF8-42CF-9985-29337D5EFC58.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1852C968-14BD-473D-84EB-B6131D328CEB.jpeg
    1852C968-14BD-473D-84EB-B6131D328CEB.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2546FF7F-7120-4E52-8FA1-D48A6B829A6D.jpeg
    2546FF7F-7120-4E52-8FA1-D48A6B829A6D.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 5E9EA245-D3A6-4332-8AB9-3490ADEE4DA0.jpeg
    5E9EA245-D3A6-4332-8AB9-3490ADEE4DA0.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 8
  • B5667E57-559F-4591-B048-C7231AB82DA8.jpeg
    B5667E57-559F-4591-B048-C7231AB82DA8.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
For those who are math challenged, CAD offers a nice solution. The math engines in CAD programs can easily solve math problems that are nearly impossible using traditional means. I have a degree in mathematics but my go-to when doing layout in my CAD. It will furnish me with very accurate coordinates for various features and I let the mill do its work.

For example, using AutoCAD or the like, in this particular situation, I would create the triangle with sides equal to the measurements and then create a circle using the three point method, the three points being the tips of the triangle. Place a point concentric with the circle for the center. Now measure your various distances to get machining coordinates. If you have a printer that can print true 1:1, you can print a template.

In SolidWorks, it took less than a minute to lay out a pattern for a three hole bolt circle with accurate coordinates and a ready-to-print template.

For those who are math challenged, CAD offers a nice solution. The math engines in CAD programs can easily solve math problems that are nearly impossible using traditional means. I have a degree in mathematics but my go-to when doing layout in my CAD. It will furnish me with very accurate coordinates for various features and I let the mill do its work.

For example, using AutoCAD or the like, in this particular situation, I would create the triangle with sides equal to the measurements and then create a circle using the three point method, the three points being the tips of the triangle. Place a point concentric with the circle for the center. Now measure your various distances to get machining coordinates. If you have a printer that can print true 1:1, you can print a template.

In SolidWorks, it took less than a minute to lay out a pattern for a three hole bolt circle with accurate coordinates and a ready-to-print template.
I have been playing with some free CAD programs geared to 3d printing here and there , just trying to figure out how to use it a bit. I did a basic design but with out DRO or CNC I had no idea what to do with it when I was done lol

I see that you're in MA. If you're concerned about measuring: I might have time to assist if you want to bring both the original and new chuck over. Do you have other concerns, such as ability to machine the hole pattern, machining all features accurately, ...?

Not trying to dissuade you from learning a layout approach - projects (and their failures) are a great way of learning. Folks have shared some tips to try to keep some costs down. But time is certainly one cost you won't save on and there can will be accidental costs which could add up to more than just opening up your wallet.

And now seeing with your comment about the material needed - if the $70-ish for the material is a concern: it sounds like sell & buy a turn-key 4j may be your preference for this project.

I see that you're in MA. If you're concerned about measuring: I might have time to assist if you want to bring both the original and new chuck over. Do you have other concerns, such as ability to machine the hole pattern, machining all features accurately, ...?

Not trying to dissuade you from learning a layout approach - projects (and their failures) are a great way of learning. Folks have shared some tips to try to keep some costs down. But time is certainly one cost you won't save on and there can will be accidental costs which could add up to more than just opening up your wallet.

And now seeing with your comment about the material needed - if the $70-ish for the material is a concern: it sounds like sell & buy a turn-key 4j may be your preference for this project.
Im pretty good at saving scraping and scrounging but so much at the expense of time.
I will get there one way or another

Great offer , Again going at this as a complete beginner. I would have to pick up some lay out tools right from the rip.

Back