Want to spiral flute round stock with manual mill/drill. This possible?

What I can't figure out is how you'd rotate the axis of the feed handle so that both feed handles are parallel to each other. The gears (feed handles) need to be on the same plane unless you use a 90 degree gear box.

This is the one I have: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7527 h7527.jpg

It was the best deal going for all the features, when I bought it, Might still be.

h7527.jpg

Last edited:
The pic you posted appears to be a rotary table. The way I understand it is a "universal dividing head" has a shaft or some sort that comes out of the backside of the dividing head. This in turn will allow you to connect the unit to the x axis leadscrew to drive the head when the table is trammed. I'm sure the complex part is calculating the rotation ratio and dividing the circumference of the round stock to obtain the desired flute.

The one I pictured actually does both. There's no chuck mounted on it. The chuck is an add on. I'm actually in the process of making an adaptor plate for mine right now to mount a spare chuck that I have hanging around. I'll take photos and show you my progress in a few. It's snowing here so I've been playing in the shop all day. :))

In the pic below, there is a shaft on the rear side of the universal head. I "think" the gears that come with it attach to the shaft and to the mill lead screw? The multiple gears allow you to control the revolution ratio between the leadscrew and head? If this is the case...I want one, lol.

Universal-Dividing-Head-BS-2-.jpg

Oh yeah, now i see. That's why it can't be done with the type I have. Well, I guess I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one of those. :whistle:

Bill...I saw the pic before....thats exactly what I want to do, but I just have a mill/drill and the head does not tilt. Just need to figure out how to make it work with what i have. I would need to use ball mills to do what I want to do.

A ball endmill might work, but I don't know what the start and end of the cut would look like without ramping into and out of the cut :thinking:

You'd be able to do it with a ball mill and come straight down to the center of the shaft from the top. That's probably how I'd do it on my bridgeport anyway.

Ridgeway, I don't know if the quill on your machine is the size of a Bridgeport? If so maybe a quill master attachment would help. $T2eC16R,!)!E9s2fCG0GBRks0uLHMw~~60_35.JPG

$T2eC16R,!)!E9s2fCG0GBRks0uLHMw~~60_35.JPG

Back