Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Jaime don't be so worried about color.
Yeah... I know, I know... lol... as long as it is working fine. That is all that really matters...

Email sent to Servo ( http://servoproductsco.com/html/contact_us.html ) with photos and good explanation of what I have and the need for the correct gear. Will give them a call tomorrow or Tuesday (if they are off during the holiday)...

Forgot to share photos of both sides of the base plate... This is before making the holes and 1/4"-20 taps for the bolts that secure the Maxi to it...

Hole increased to 1". Drawbar is 7/8", so this gives it some good clearance.

IMG_4599.jpeg

Other side... where the spacers rest against...

IMG_4601.jpeg

Okay.. base plate done! Drilled the 1/4" holes and tap done as well... Just needs a coat of paint.

IMG_4602.jpeg
IMG_4603.jpeg
IMG_4604.jpeg

Correct bolts, length-wise, should be here Tuesday.

IMG_4605.jpeg

I just hope everything ends up centered, hahahahahahahhaha

Last edited:
Servo team responded quickly... asked for a few photos and confirmed I had the correct kit. Pointed me to Detail A in the instructions...

Read the instructions Jaime, read the instructions!! I have to machine the stock sleave to fit over the gear shaft... This will be fun... I have never used a boring bar... I need to see what do I have for drill and mills... I do not want to learn how to use a boring bar with this part...

DetailA.JPG

Just double checking...

IMG_4609.jpeg

Bringing it back to Orlando to work it there... also took out the oiling system tank to rebuild..

IMG_4607.jpeg

Soon my precious... soon...

IMG_4612.jpeg

If this is your first boring head use, I recommend you do some practicing on some scrap first. It's easy to overshoot the ID if you aren't familiar with the boring bar adjustments. It's also easy to get the boring bar clocked wrong in the boring head and have crappy finish.

If this is your first boring head use, I recommend you do some practicing on some scrap first. It's easy to overshoot the ID if you aren't familiar with the boring bar adjustments. It's also easy to get the boring bar clocked wrong in the boring head and have crappy finish.
First try at boring, correct.

I will try on something else first. Thank you.

Then there is the question of how to hold it in the chuck without damaging the threads…. Many challenges with this one…

Oil tank refreshed...

New tank
New filters
New cap
Painted the bracket
Cleaned the handle

Since it is pumping fine, decide not to replace the internal o-ring. I can always do that later.

Before

IMG_3744.jpeg

Teardown...

IMG_4618.jpeg

The handle cleaned up nicely... and you see also the new parts (filters, cap, o-rings, tank)

IMG_4620.jpeg

After

IMG_4621.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg
IMG_4627.jpeg
IMG_4625.jpeg

Video from the parts vendor:

Last edited:
See, I am doing a new thing!! I am boring!!

I placed a thin metal around the threads and non-threaded section... that is what the tape is holding...

I have a stop short of the .94" depth required...

Dial indicator as well to practice with that...

Vacuum cleaner hose attached on the end to suck all the chips...

Also marked the diameter to avoid mistakes... I need 1.25" and marked just below that to avoid going over...

IMG_4636.jpeg
IMG_4637.jpeg
IMG_4638.jpeg

Last edited:
This is how I feel :D

DetailA.jpeg

Came out to 0.943 depth.. For the final cut I went from 600 rpm to 1100 rpm and slower feed... finish, for me doing it, came out great!! Also, 1/8" hole drilled

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4643.jpeg

Got it all cleaned with some degreaser... and ready to be installed!

IMG_4644.jpeg

IMG_4645.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job Man, looks great! Did you do a practice piece first or did you just go for the gusto machine the original piece?

Back