Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Nice job Man, looks great! Did you do a practice piece first or did you just go for the gusto machine the original piece?
:oops: I went right at it... started with two drill bits up to 7/8... and then went with the boring bar...

Not too smart for a newbie to do that... I know...

But I got to practice using the 4-jaw to center the part... using some shims to avoid damage to the part and the threads.... Using the stop and dial indicator to know where I started and ended...

Last edited:
Looking great. I had to laugh at the video you posted. I played Henry Higgens in my HS production of My Fair Lady in 1964 and had to sing (if you can call it singing) that "you did it" song.

Looking great. I had to laugh at the video you posted. I played Henry Higgens in my HS production of My Fair Lady in 1964 and had to sing (if you can call it singing) that "you did it" song.
Loved the book and the movie… we all do at home. Can’t recall how many times we have seen it.

Before:

IMG_4194.jpeg

Mobil EP2 grease finally arrived. Bearings installed...

IMG_4656.jpeg
Wave washer

IMG_4658.jpeg
IMG_4659.jpeg

Used short bolts to drive the steel plate in... then removed those and placed the spacers and top plate... securing all that with the longer bolts with slim head profile.

IMG_4660.jpeg
IMG_4664.jpeg

Took the time to clean the brake handle before installing. Ready to be installed back in the machine. Finally!!

IMG_4668.jpeg
IMG_4667.jpeg

Much, much better!

Last edited:
:applause 2: :eagerness: Too bad there isn't a way to keep the brake arm from marking your nice shiney paint work? Maybe a delrin pad mounted ,like a smile, where it does all the contact?

:applause 2: :eagerness: Too bad there isn't a way to keep the brake arm from marking your nice shiney paint work? Maybe a delrin pad mounted ,like a smile, where it does all the contact?
Oh man... I just realized I left the piece of Delrin in the video... hahahahahhaha...

Yeah, I know it is a machine and I should not be so worried about a little bit of paint getting scratched... :D

You had to encourage me... Took a piece of delrin, turn it down, rounded the ends, made a cut and voila!

IMG_4672.jpeg

I know it looks like a suppository, but who cares! :grin big:

IMG_4671.jpeg

Back