WhaaaHOOO!! Finally found myself a shaper!!! 8D

Great news!
Now I'm not the only shaper NOOB!
Perhaps we can learn together.

Daryl
MN

Hey Daryl- we can just keep subscribing to each others' posts and we'll get'em all figured out!

I missed what you got somehow? What is it?

Bernie

Nice score Bernie
Some cleaning, lube it up,and your all set. That machine all repainted would look killer.
Those old shapers are so neat to look at. Good for you Bernie :drink2::thumbzup::drink:

Nice shaper Bernie.---I'll be watching your forum posts so I can better utilize mine--I've used both of mine just to try them(7" atlas) but after I get one of them to my newer shop I plan to learn all the uses for them. Did yours come on that stand with the extra vise? Dave

On the road! WheeHOO!

Does anyone have a manual for this machine, so I Can pick up some lube for the crankcase on my way home?

Great find! Scrub her down with Simple Green and polish of op the machined surfaces and she will look great!

I also would love a little shaper some day.

nice unit!!!!
i can't wait to see her running!!
by the way...
YOU SUCK!!!!!!!:lmao:
mike:))

Thanks guys!

It's home! It works!
I have a friend who had access to the instruction book and found out there is no oil bath on the Ammco shaper, unlike the South Bend ones I remember. Instead, it has about 12 oil points... So I went nuts with the Vactra Medium, 3-in-One, a vacuum, and some rags, and plugged it in!
Videos below...

I will have it apart soon, bit by bit. The ram dovetail has some real gouges warn into it on the side with the gib, so it was run with debris in the past. BLACK oil is working it's way out of the ram after filling clean oil into all the GITS oilers on top- so it is sort of self cleaning until I do rebuild it. :)

Time to enter a new learning curve!

Now I have two machines I can just sit and watch- the Shaper, and the little power Hacksaw... Simple mind I guess 8)

I appreciate any help and tips from any of you more seasoned shaper operators out there! More to come!

Bernie

Take a close look at that pretty pulley guard on the left. Apparently, in this picture, it was hanging by a thread-
One minute later, I finished braking it off! It is a clean break- so I hope an easy weld :)

uve8a6e3.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJuKKxqowQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E0ACZZZBOA

Table is pretty good- just red and dry:

unumyrar.jpg

Look at the cut of these belts!! That is why I keep my own crazy assortment at home.
...and you can see my handiwork on the pulley guard :)

y5ymuzud.jpg

6ebuve9y.jpg

yqe2u5ar.jpg

uve8a6e3.jpg

unumyrar.jpg

y5ymuzud.jpg

6ebuve9y.jpg

yqe2u5ar.jpg

Wow! nice score Bernie. I wish I had the space for one of those. It is nice you got it with a vise too!!

I have to sell the Atlas 618 to make room. I LOVE this little lathe, but since I got a nice 10L, I am truthfully not using it.

... And I am learning, slowly, to get rid of some things.. sloooooowlyyyyy

:)

Bernie

Hey Bern I been using #30 non deter. for years aint hurt anything. I do use #90 gear oil on the bull gear and yoke with no problems and we use this thing all the time. come on 'mon gas rag 000 steel wool dk grey (me) one morning & chips chips chips

Back