WhaaaHOOO!! Finally found myself a shaper!!! 8D

On the road! WheeHOO!

Does anyone have a manual for this machine, so I Can pick up some lube for the crankcase on my way home?
bernie i have an ammco 7" you can get manual from army on internet
i will look it up for you

Nice score, Bernie!! I don't have a shaper, would love to have one for the cool factor!

Nice find Bernie, as a fellow shaper nube I'm sharing your enthusiasm and getting to grips with a completely new type of machine...

It seems to me that shapers are a natural progression after learning to use a lathe, as tooling and a lot of the same principles are so similar.

Have fun

Bernard

PS Has the time come for a shaper section on here to keep all the info together?

Wow Bernard!

I think that's a fantastic idea... I wonder what the powers-that-be would think of it, and what's involved.. Besides the tooling and nature of cutting, as you mentioned, they really are in their own category.

I guess the next closest in purpose, but very different in tooling would be a surface grinder, which may not have it's own forum on HM either.

I have almost my whole shop apart this week to move this Sheldon shaper in. Saturday was a comedy of errors, which kept me moving it in then. When the rented trailer tire went flat at the last hours of the day, before picking up the shaper, I fully embraced that I just was meant to wait a little longer! Hah hah!

As it turns out, last night I came up with an even better idea to pick it up and move it in- so it is good I got delayed!

Bernie

Thats awesome. I agree, they are some kinda cool. I like to watch them go. If it were not for this site, a guy might be happy with a couple end mills and some clamps. ahahaha

We used a shaper in the shop I apprenticed in many moons ago. We used it mostly for two purposes. We would buy tool steel with the scale still on it (cheaper that way) and used the shaper to cut through the scale, it was nasty, nasty stuff. We also used it to machine beryllium. Didn't want to fly cut, grind or burn that stuff.
It was also the only machine we had, other than a lathe, that you didn't have to stand there and crank the handles. And ironically, it was the oldest machine in the shop, by quite a bit.

John

Nice score on the shaper Bern. I will be following this one close. By the way, can you make your u-tube vids a little longer? 15 seconds is just a tease!:thumbup::cool:

Jake Parker

No kidding John-

That Beryllium sounds like some nasty stuff- as awesome as it is. After reading your post I looked it up.

It is funny too- the fact that I can leave the shaper go and get other things done near it is a fantastic feature- double the work done! I love to sit and watch it, but I also love to square and clean up stock that I have acquired in various conditions, and get them down to their usable dimensions so I know what I really have.

What kind of cutters did you guys use on the Beryllium, do you remember? I read the dust is poisonous, so maybe I shouldn't get into asking! Hah hah

Bernie

Nice score on the shaper Bern. I will be following this one close. By the way, can you make your u-tube vids a little longer? 15 seconds is just a tease!:thumbup::cool:

Jake Parker

You got it Jake!

I have to admit something here- part if what I do for a living as a photographer is occasionally shoot video! Hah hah! But I have never taken my good gear into the shop yet. But no more! I have been dying to watch more shaper videos on YouTube, and now I know what I WOULD want to watch too.

So as soon as I get this monster going, I am going to do it up! Any requests?

Bernie

No kidding John-

That Beryllium sounds like some nasty stuff- as awesome as it is. After reading your post I looked it up.

It is funny too- the fact that I can leave the shaper go and get other things done near it is a fantastic feature- double the work done! I love to sit and watch it, but I also love to square and clean up stock that I have acquired in various conditions, and get them down to their usable dimensions so I know what I really have.

What kind of cutters did you guys use on the Beryllium, do you remember? I read the dust is poisonous, so maybe I shouldn't get into asking! Hah hah

Bernie

Bernie: We used HSS and the shape was very much the same form for turning. The whole ideas was to get a nice chip with minimum dust and no sparks. The gas from burning beryllium is extremely poisonous. The reason we used beryllium was for heat transfer in injection molds. It was very tough so it would withstand the extreme pressures of molding and would transfer the heat from material like 40% talc filled polypropylene and keep the cycle down.
I probably have some of the tools we used on it tucked away in a toolbox somewhere. I know they were at least 1/2" tool bits, maybe even 5/8", but I can't remember the exact shape. I will rummage around and see if I can dig them up.

John

Back