What Bronze Do I Need

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I need to make some bearings and a lead screw nut. I am trying to figure out what kind of bronze is best to use. Any ideas?

All these numbers drive me nuts. :headache:. What did we use 50 years ago? That seemed to hold up good. When you say "bearing bronze" what number is referred to?
I had some ( but used it up) that looked like brass , but slightly darker, and was harder to machine. That stuff was great, but I don't know what it was :(. I have heard of 954. This stuff is expensive so I want to get it right the first time.

For lead screw nut, use 932 or 660 bearing bronze, much easier to cut and thread. You get a better wear ratio, giving you little wear to the screw thread vs the nut. 954 will hold up longer with little wear, but will wear out your lead screw by the time a new nut is needed. And will give you grief trying to machine it at times. Amco 18 is ideal but very expensive and hard to get.

I have used 932 bronze with great success. Easy to machine. It's expensive so I am thinking about casting a batch. It could end up with some porosity but that should not affect its performance.
Robert

I need a piece 1" x 1" x 1 1/4" and a piece 1" diameter x 1 1/2" long. My supplier tells me he can't get the square and I would have to get a big enough round to mill it 1" square. I don't know why they don't make the square :dunno:.

I'm making a new nut for my mill table and the 1" round is for a bearing in my cross drilling fixture for my lathe. I have to make these repairs before starting my new project. I'm going to make the boring & facing head featured in The Home Shop Machinist magazine.

Back