What Bronze Do I Need

I think I have it. I'll check in the morning and let you know.

Mark, sorry it took a while. Here's what I have in the drops pile. I thought I had some rectangle stock, but can't find it. This is 3 groups, 360 half hard, 660, and alum bronze (Ampco 45), top to bottom, if they post correctly.brass 1.JPG brass 2.JPG brass 3.JPG There is a 12" scale for reference. I can get closer dimensions if you see something you can use. And I probably have more I can dig through. Looks like the pics are wrong, so it's left to right (bottom pic) SAE 660, 660 half hard, then Ampco 45. Some of it is drilled through, most solid. That small bar of 660 is 3/4", just as an example. Let me know if you see anything you can use.

Tony,

In the bottom photo, the fist piece on the left, is that the 660? If the diameter is big enough , a piece of that about 1 1/2 to 2" long would make the lead screw nut. If the diameter is big enough to mill to about 1" square.

I am not up on the numbers. Any piece I can mill to 1" square and be at least 1 1/2 long will work, but I need to be able to machine it as I will be cutting an ACME internal thread in it.

Yes, that's the 660. That bar is 2 1/2" diameter.

You needed a piece of round too though, right?

A piece of that 1 1/2" long would work great.

Yes, ... 1" diameter and 2" long for the round piece. But the really important piece is for the table nut on my Burke mill. I have made new screws and nuts for the knee and the saddle. Once the table is fixed with new screw and nut, this mill will be as good as new.

OK, 1 1/2" long on the 2 1/2" 660. What are you making out of the 1" rnd? A bushing of some sort? I think the Ampco 45 would be better for a bushing, especially if there is steel running in it. I'll cut up a piece of that and send it too. Might take a day or two. Still have a hard time standing for very long, but I'll get it to you. PM me your mailing address and they're yours. That work?

OK, 1 1/2" long on the 2 1/2" 660. What are you making out of the 1" rnd? A bushing of some sort? I think the Ampco 45 would be better for a bushing, especially if there is steel running in it. I'll cut up a piece of that and send it too. Might take a day or two. Still have a hard time standing for very long, but I'll get it to you. PM me your mailing address and they're yours. That work?

Yes the round is a bushing with a steel shaft running in it.
Thank you, Tony.

Back