What Bronze Do I Need

Are you kidding, Mark, You "pay it forward" every time you post a thread of something you are building. I have learned a lot from watching your builds, and I thank you very much. Happy machining, JR49

The lead screw nut for my Burke table is flat on the bottom and sides and rounded on top. The cavity is basically sort of square. I will drill and acme thread the piece and then mill the proper shape.

While the insert is not a bad idea, it is easier to make the nut from a single piece. If you saw the write up on the saddle nut I made for the Burke, it was sort of done like that. I did not have a large enough chunk of bronze so I made the base from steel and attached the bronze nut to it. The method is an excellent alternative if you lack a piece of the correct size. The nut for my knee on the Burke was also done this way.

I have read many articles about making a lead screw nut from delrin, but it is my opinion that is a wasted effort because it will work but it won't hold up as well as the bronze. Some people will argue that point. :dunno:

Mark,
I have a spare Burke #4 for parts and the table lead screw and the bronze nut are good. the lead screw does have a problem where the handle mounts it needs to be repaired.Of interested let me know I will call you or email you at your email address. This machine has a 16 " table. I know what the lead screw nut is I replaced the one on my #4 the new one from DC Morrison was $ 70.00 plus shipping. I salvaged the old part and I ordered a round nut from this place < http://www.roton.com > and I put it away for a later project …well I guess I lost it or misplaced it, someday it will turn up.
let me know if you want the nut or anything else.
Regards
dgehricke

Mark,
I have a spare Burke #4 for parts and the table lead screw and the bronze nut are good. the lead screw does have a problem where the handle mounts it needs to be repaired.Of interested let me know I will call you or email you at your email address. This machine has a 16 " table. I know what the lead screw nut is I replaced the one on my #4 the new one from DC Morrison was $ 70.00 plus shipping. I salvaged the old part and I ordered a round nut from this place < http://www.roton.com > and I put it away for a later project …well I guess I lost it or misplaced it, someday it will turn up.
let me know if you want the nut or anything else.
Regards
dgehricke

I sent you a PM

I have a box full of bronze bushing Mark. Tell me OD, ID and lengths you need.

"Billy G"

If you looking for low price
Try using bronze out a transmission [Truck Road Ranger ]
It is around 1 1/4" an 4 or 5 long

Dave

I need to make some bearings and a lead screw nut. I am trying to figure out what kind of bronze is best to use. Any ideas?

Back