What goes on in my shop #2

Hi William, that's a lovely piece of work m8.
I have been into photography for approx 30 years now (machining 6 months) and I can tell you there is nothing wrong with your photos.
Lighting, exposure, focus & composition all seem spot on m8, :thumbsup2: though having said that, in the second photo you have cut off the head! common mistake ;) :biggrin:
ATB
Mick

Mick ,

Thanks for the feedback on the pics ,means a lot coming from one who has the amount of
experience as you. Glad to know I'm doing it right.
I'll work on the head chopping issue in future pics, lol !

William

Just an update......

The gentleman I made this for absolutely loves it and says it works perfect for his intended
application.

Also would like to thank everyone for their kind words and interest as well as all of the
views.

Thanks,
William

Autonoz,

This particular one,the base and body, is made from 4140 ann. cold drawn . The pin vise is made from
aluminum.

William

Very nice job. For us beginners could you explain, or better yet show pics of how the doming (for lack of a better word) tool attaches to the cross feed, and is it supported at the top somehow? Thanks, Mike

attachment.php?attachmentid=72132&d=1394378870&thumb=1.jpg

Mike ,

I'll be more than happy to take some pics so you can see how its attached.

William

Mike just so you will have a better term, radius or ball turning tool seems to be the the normal name for these handy gadgets. (not saying this is the proper name) There are many different designs for this type of tool and most are fairly easy to make. As a matter of fact the part in my profile pic. is the body of the one I made. Mark
Very nice job. For us beginners could you explain, or better yet show pics of how the doming (for lack of a better word) tool attaches to the cross feed, and is it supported at the top somehow? Thanks, Mikeattachment.php?attachmentid=72132&d=1394378870&thumb=1.jpg

Thanks, I will look forward to seeing the hole thing. I can see it's made up of a section of pipe and some bar stock in the pic. My welding skills are good, but my machining has a ways to go. Cheers, Mike

Mike ,

Here's a few pics of the entire thing. Years ago I was asked to produce radius end hot
work (H13) punches for use in fly presses , at the time I did not have the capabilities to
form ball ends quickly.
This entire thing is made from drops , as you can probably tell cause she ain't pretty ,
but I was in no position to purchase one at the time.
I made it so it could be on and off in seconds for production as well as rigid enough
to take a serious cut and no vibration issues affecting the surface finish.
As you can see it will do both concave and convex . Right now it will turn up to a
4.500" ball , I'm going to be modifying it soon as I have had quite a few requests for
a larger ball diameter in the engravers vises I make.

WilliamIMG_20140405_163634.jpgIMG_20140405_162453.jpgIMG_20140405_162656.jpg

IMG_20140405_163634.jpg IMG_20140405_162453.jpg IMG_20140405_162656.jpg

Back