What goes on in my shop #2

You know what they say, "pretty is as pretty does" and that looks like it's doing exactly what you need it to. That one will definitely be going on list of things to build. If you had to do it again is there anything you would do differently? Thanks again for sharing. Mike

There is no doubt you are an artist and a craftsman..

So is the majority of the weight down in that ball? Or is the ability to stand tilted due to a tight tolerance and friction in the seat of the ring in the ball end of the stand?

Truly beautiful work! Inspiring to get back to my own shop!

Bernie

You know what they say, "pretty is as pretty does" and that looks like it's doing exactly what you need it to. That one will definitely be going on list of things to build. If you had to do it again is there anything you would do differently? Thanks again for sharing. Mike

Mike ,

You're right it does what it was designed to do and it has done it many ,many times.
If there was one thing I might change if I had to do it over again would be to add a
couple of grease fittings on the top and bottom pivot points , but a shot of oil has
has worked well over the years.

William

There is no doubt you are an artist and a craftsman..

So is the majority of the weight down in that ball? Or is the ability to stand tilted due to a tight tolerance and friction in the seat of the ring in the ball end of the stand?

Truly beautiful work! Inspiring to get back to my own shop!

Bernie

Bernie ,

This particular design the diameter and weight of the ball are only a part of the equation
a lot of its ability to stand tilted is in the perfectly matched I.D. of the base.

Most engravers will either apply some type of sticky resin to the ball or place a cloth between the
base and ball to create even more friction.

William

Simply beautiful.
It makes me want to improve my machinist skills. Ill never get to that level but its a great goal.

Simply beautiful.
It makes me want to improve my machinist skills. Ill never get to that level but its a great goal.

When I started out years ago working under some of the finest gentlemen I've ever known
I was constantly in awe and amazement at the amount of knowledge and talent that these
men possessed.
Their work pushed me to become what I am today , without them and me soaking it all
up like a sponge who knows where things may have led me.
But , I will say these men were tough as nails and you only got shown how to do something
once.
I remember they asked me one time if I wanted to be a professional or a craftsman. My reply
was a professional , WRONG ANSWER!! Their exact words to me were.....a professional knows
how......a craftsman knows why.

William

Back