What Type Of Cutting Oil is correct

+1 on the crisco, works great with stainless on lathe, mill, bandsaw, love the way it melts in
IIRC Guy Lautard recommended Crisco for reaming (but maybe also wrapping the reamer in waxed paper?).

The Machinery's Handbook suggests a mixture of Mineral oil and lard oil.

"For light machining, straight mineral oil may be satisfactory; for heavier duty or where the metal is removed ay comparatively high rate; the mineral oil may contain from 10-40% lard oil. As a general rule, the percentage of lard oil is increased with the hardness of the stock to be removed."

So I can see Crisco being a good choice.

The Machinery's Handbook suggests a mixture of Mineral oil and lard oil.

"For light machining, straight mineral oil may be satisfactory; for heavier duty or where the metal is removed ay comparatively high rate; the mineral oil may contain from 10-40% lard oil. As a general rule, the percentage of lard oil is increased with the hardness of the stock to be removed."

So I can see Crisco being a good choice.
Lard oil ok, but I'd guess lard is a solid at room temp like bacon fat and crisco. but what makes Crisco so darn good is that its a solid. it globs where you put it and melts as you cut so it has a stick around and cool it down property all it's own. and as said, it's not animal based and does not stink up the joint

I was wondering what type Of Cutting Oil is correct. Not even sure if my process is correct, but it seems to work. I’ve tried plain motor oil and seems to work, but goes on thick. I’ve also tried various machine oils. Even Synthetic Turbine Oil, I like this the best. Has good consistency and doesn’t make much mess. Here is what I’ve been using in no particular order, applied with a small brush.

Kroil
Mil Spec Synthetic Turbine Oil 7808
Motor Oil 5W-30
PB Blaster
WD-40
Chain oil (Only because I got a case free from a neighbor who was moving)
The best for steel or brass is dark threading used by plumbers {note dark may stain brass} .
Aluminum WD40 work great

I’ve been thinking a bit about this same topic. I know people use WD40 for aluminium, so I’ve tried that and it works fine in my limited experience. For steel, in the uk the popular brand seems to be CT-90. I’ve got that in an oil form and a ‘non drip’ paste type substance. I see a lot of YouTube videos where people are spraying something on with a spray bottle that I assume is cutting fluid that would normally be in a flood coolant system? I don’t know what to order to try that out though. We don’t get Kool Mist in the UK, so I’m not sure what our equivalent is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drawing a blank on IIRC- ??
@toprecyler explained for me, but in this case IDRC (I Didn't Remember Correctly - new acronym): couldn't find Crisco or Waxed Paper in my TMBR Index (The Machinist's Bedside Reader - get the set, Vol 1 has been reprinted and is available on Amazon; the others are on the used market, but can be pricey). I'll keep looking (Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks and other sources) and report back.

Back