What Type Of Cutting Oil is correct

I have used a lot different oils in past. From a very costly to hot engine oil.
The very costly did work great for few holes. The hot engine oil was out in field and had to tap holes got Job done.

The best for both using and price was pipe thread cutting oil but stinks.

Dave

That's crazy- the things people do before they find out about Crisco!
Still nothing on Crisco (it may have been in Strike While the Iron is Hot, I'll have to re-read it), but did find a reference to using pure lard in The 2nd Machinist's Bedside Reader.

Also found a reference to using Permatex 300 to push a #60 drill through a 3/8" thick automotive leaf spring: ". . . Dip the drill in Pernatex 300. In the case of very small drills be sure to re-apply before the drill runs dry. . . - Ray Davis Morehead City, North Carolina" Gunsmith Kinks © 1969 F. Brownell & Son.

Do you guys keep Crisco in the shop? Doesn't it go bad after about a year? I don't cook with Crisco and the house is about 100 yards from the shop which is just too far to constantly be running back and forth.

I am just trying to figure out the practicality of Crisco? One of the big cans would be 20+ years worth of lube for me. My Anchor lube is 5 years old and my can of cutting oil is considerably older than that. If I have to buy a new can of Crisco after every hot summer it won't really save me any money so it had better be the best cutting lube ever!

Last edited:
Do you guys keep Crisco in the shop? Doesn't it go bad after about a year? I don't cook with Crisco and the house is about 100 yards from the shop which is just too far to constantly be running back and forth.

I am just trying to figure out the practicality of Crisco? One of the big cans would be 20+ years worth of lube for me. My Anchor lube is 5 years old and my can of cutting oil is considerably older than that. If I have to buy a new can of Crisco after every hot summer it won't really save me any money so it had better be the best cutting lube ever!
The last time I purchased cutting oil both dark and clear was 20 Years ago for hobby use. (Clear in one gal can and dark in pint size both from Home Depot)

When I had a shop I would buy by the 55 gallon drum it would last a year or two. We did a lot of tapping and reaming in A36 steel.

Dave

I’m guessing Crisco shelf life in the shop probably will be a lot longer than it’s printed date. Most of the expiration dates on food products are “Best By” dates. It’s mostly manufacture companies way to get us to throw out the outdated stuff in our pantries so we go out to buy more, and they get repeat sales.

But I know where I’m going to take my 4 year old can of crisco to now. To the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son owns a pizzeria and gave me a stack of those little clear plastic snap tops they put salad dressing in, they hold about 2 oz. and are perfect for a 6 month scoop of Crisco I got one by mill and one by lathe but I dont even put cap on so what if they get some chocolate sprinkles on em. They are also handy for screws and small part organization. I'm sure a $2 tip will get you plenty. In new orleans in the humidity Crisco went yellow in about 10 years. scrape the yellow off the top and it's clean white below. At Walmart it's 3.97 for 16 oz- get an 8 oz can you cheapskate ! That's what I got. Here is 200 2oz for $8

Last edited:
Still nothing on Crisco (it may have been in Strike While the Iron is Hot, I'll have to re-read it), but did find a reference to using pure lard in The 2nd Machinist's Bedside Reader.

Also found a reference to using Permatex 300 to push a #60 drill through a 3/8" thick automotive leaf spring: ". . . Dip the drill in Pernatex 300. In the case of very small drills be sure to re-apply before the drill runs dry. . . - Ray Davis Morehead City, North Carolina" Gunsmith Kinks © 1969 F. Brownell & Son.
Ive run a small shop for 13 years and dont know a thing except what I've picked up from talking to other guys in general and learned myself. I only used kerosene and compressor oil (non detergent 20W oil) I got at Harbor Freight for like $3- still using it 8 years later, it's on my list to grab another quart. Use it for my Rockwell Mill, Seneca Falls lathe- everything in shop. Oh I also have vactra I use on the ways and for coating rust prone surfaces- put a couple drops into a nitrile gloved hand and rub it on like polish. First heard of crisco in this thread a couple pages back, I think my +1 on Crisco resurrected a dead thread. I like it bc I don't have coolant system so have to mash a wet brush in there and let it ride the cut for some cooling. With crisco I can put a small dollop right on the cut and as the work heats the solid melts into the cut - for long cuts I brush on a trail of it and it stays put. That's the unique property - it stays on target. it's like nothing else and it makes for a smooth quiet cut- its a good lube. The old timers used to swear by tallow or suet, beef fat I think- you can still buy it for machine applications but it smells cause its an animal fat and gets rancid. Crisco seems to be best of both worlds, solid fat- zero stink. Try it on a cut. Start with the 8oz can ;-)

Last edited:
When cutting aluminum, I used to scrub the cut line with a candle. It was very effective at keeping the blade from gumming up.
The thing I'm taking away from this conversation is that if your machine table is dripping with cutting oil, you're probably doing it wrong.

When cutting aluminum, I used to scrub the cut line with a candle. It was very effective at keeping the blade from gumming up.
The thing I'm taking away from this conversation is that if your machine table is dripping with cutting oil, you're probably doing it wrong.
Not sure if it's "wrong" to have an oozing table but I do think it would be smart to place it in a kiddie pool if that's your method ;-)

As a side note to this, if using a sanding disc on aluminum, ( on a disc grinder usually) I will use a candle on the pad. It really helps to keep the pad from filling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back