What's your go-to angle grinder?

I have six Milwaukee angle grinders - 4 corded, 1 brushed cordless, 1 brushless cordless. All have been great. Batteries don't last long on the cordless grinders if you're doing heavy grinding, but they're fantastic for a bit of wire brushing here and there while you're welding. I have a Makita as well that did yeoman's work grinding out mortar with a thick diamond blade - some of the dirtiest work any of my grinders have been exposed to - and it's also still going strong. I don't think you'd regret either brand.

GsT

9" vintage Black and Decker.
7" Milwaukee
4.5" Makita - three of them.
All corded.
I have used and abused them all.
The Makitas especially.
Buy good tools. Do good work

Last edited:
3 under the bench right now, Makita cordless with a stringer bead brush on it, Metabo corded with a 80 grit soft pad, and a Dewalt with a cut off wheel on it. I also have a small gang box full of about 30 discards of various makes that have been used up over the years, I use them for parts and once in a while I'm able to cobble together a useable one.

My corded Milwaukee is the one I go to when the going gets rough. It will power through most anything. For a quick touch up the 30 year old Harbor freight just keeps running and is about half the weight of the Milwaukee. About 5 years ago I had to replace the brushes on the HF and I was lucky in that I was still able to find the spare pair the HF originally came with.

I bought a nice used Bosch rotary hammer for $20 because it only ran for about 20 seconds. After a new set of brushes it easily runs for an hour straight with no rest break (I have never had the need to run the rotary hammer longer than an hour straight).

Following up on this, I ended up buying the Metabo HPT. Haven’t tried it yet but will this afternoon or tomorrow.
e83a68a7d8ffd4a298728ed1802920b2.jpg

4" 40± year old Makita, 4.5" Makita about 10 years old, 4.5" DeWalt that lasted about a year. All corded. 9" B&D that is old but rarely used.

I bought a Milwaukee M18 jobby, in part because I already have the batteries. It worked great, until it didn't, having died after only a few weeks of use. Milwaukee has an awesome service center; they paid shipping both ways and fixed the grinder since it was under warranty. I was in a hurry, though, and couldn't wait, so I bought another of the same model. So, I have two now, and my project is done. Anyone want a grinder? ;)

Following up on this, I ended up buying the Metabo HPT. Haven’t tried it yet but will this afternoon or tomorrow.
e83a68a7d8ffd4a298728ed1802920b2.jpg
Nice, I standardized on their (Hitachi) battery powered tools a long time ago. Still don't have a cordless angle grinder but when I find a deal I'll go for it. That's the only thing my HF ones don't do for me, run without a cord; and I'm not about to buy something that won't work with all the batteries I already have.

John

Nice, I standardized on their (Hitachi) battery powered tools a long time ago. Still don't have a cordless angle grinder but when I find a deal I'll go for it. That's the only thing my HF ones don't do for me, run without a cord; and I'm not about to buy something that won't work with all the batteries I already have.

John

I’m standardized on the Ridgid system. But their cordless grinder gets terrible reviews.

Back