01 MB W210 (White elephant No.3)

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
This car come as a joke ( prank ) from my brother as a payback because i've been calling his white cars white elephants. The plan is to fix it in stages and there is lots to fix. Its a Mercedes Benz E200 CDI (2.2 litre diesel) with a very special options list (German taxi)
IMG_20211027_154706.jpgIMG_20211027_183435.jpgIMG_20211027_183452.jpg

Just unbend the hood ornament and good to go?

I have the C-Class version of that diesel. With all options, it is a very refined quality vehicle. Like all European high quality cars, as in Mercedes, BMW, and the like, they are so well built they do keep going reliably for a long time, which is a situation the makers have to live with when pitching their product at fleet lease renewal time, especially to Munich taxi-drivers. Once past a certain age, they depreciate faster.

The price of dated spares, and restoration work, will compete with the depreciated value of the car. I just keep fixing up mine, and keeping it serviced, sometimes with good condition reclaimed parts, so I can keep driving it. It is by far the best car I ever owned, but I know there will be the day when the cost of a spare and fix is way more than the depreciated value. It becomes more valuable to me as a thing to keep driving than what I might get on a trade-in.

There is a turning point where it maybe becomes a desirable classic, and will start to appreciate in value. If it is in good condition, runs well, and by self-skills, you are able to by-pass some of the repair costs, say by taking advantage of reclaimed parts, then it can be more valuable to you as a car to just keep driving, and enjoying.

It already has option 922.
Haha, i laugh at the 922 option ( power redaction engine) i'm guessing being a taxi they wanted more fuel economy and the engine is detuned to 75KW (102hp) ordinary they are 105KW (145hp).

First thing as always is to wash every inch i could reach, i mainly focused on the front and engine bay. I used 2 whole bottles of oven degreaser, i also unbolted the pipe out of the turbocharger because it was smoking like crazy lots of oil in the intake and i suspect the intercooler is also full of oil. Then i left it to dry up then i'll have to assess how much welding needs to be done, drivers side has a big rust hole lets hope is better than the little niva.
IMG_20211030_163237.jpgIMG_20211030_163410.jpgIMG_20211030_163245.jpg

There is a turning point where it maybe becomes a desirable classic, and will start to appreciate in value. If it is in good condition, runs well, and by self-skills, you are able to by-pass some of the repair costs, say by taking advantage of reclaimed parts, then it can be more valuable to you as a car to just keep driving, and enjoying.
Many of my vehicles come to me at that point, I'm pretty handy with a wrench and a torch so i fix them up to a reliable driver quality and drive them till the end. I do like french cars, and have been avoiding mercedes and bmw because of their parts prices, even second hand they are very expensive.

Back