01 or W2 Tool Steel

I think all the metals mentioned here are softer than the pinions in the chuck.

Wow,guys check this out.Doc sent me couple pieces of SS for me to give it a try making couple of chuck keys and a roughing/finishing HSS cutting tool.Thank you so much Doc,I can already see those chuck keys in those rods.Doc also sent me a double ended roughing and finishing tool so that will help me try and get what I hope is a finish like pontiac428.I never grind a cutting tool before mainly cause I just been avoiding it,but I have learned little more now and that for a good finish to remove just few thou that HSS is the answer.Doc also included some instructions on speeds/feeds to help me prevent work harden the surface.And about how much of a cut to take for roughing and then how much for the finishing cut.I am excited about this.My early AM plan like every Saturday I get up,make pot of coffee then I set and watch Youtubes on machining and some projects of making chuck keys which also helps point me in the right direction as Doc has.So when little cooler weather comes and ordering myself set of those collet blocks and some 5c collets I will be all set for making some chuck keys.Guys this forum is fantastic,you ask a questions and you get lots of good answers and choices.Its wonderful:) thanks Doc and guys for all this help and once I get them made will post pics ask for ya'll thoughts on his project and how I can improve the finish. Yahooooo!
Chuck Key.jpgChuck.jpg

Wow. Looks great. I made mine out of high strength bolts, forged to shape with hammer and anvil, and heat treated to deep straw. They work just great, but look terrible. Many of my tools have a blacksmith look to them. I think I'm getting used to it.

I made one for my lathe from 316L SS 4 years ago, so far no distortion in the end

Ulma Doc gave me a milling machine and a small lathe when I lost my home and shop in the Camp Fire.
He has a big heart and is one all around talented guy.
He saved me about $800 when I was in the market for a rotary phase converter. His advise was sound and I benefited from his wisdom.
Thanks again Mike!
Word on the street, he knows how to BBQ too.

I dunno, I guess I'm just a hack. I see all you guys making these gorgeous chuck keys. When I needed a pair of chuck keys for dialing my 4 jaw I grabbed a piece of Home despot square stock , fired up the welder, and in 15 minutes had a pair of chuck keys.

four jaw chuck wrench.JPG

Back