1/4-28 grease zerk tap?

IF it was 1/16 NPT-27 it would be tapered and 0.313 major dia at the big end and the minor dia at the small end would be 0.242. This would be a rare animal.

A standard 1/4-28 is the second most common Zerk size sold.

I have regular 1/4-28 taps. Do I need a special tap for a 1/4-28 tapered thread zerk?

Probably not. If you have a "normal" 1/4-28 grease fitting, it's taper is designed to wedge it's self (and seal with) a normal, standard, straight threaded 1/4-28 hole. Tapered thread into a straight hole. How wrong is that? They work better than you'd think.

You've gotta watch out depending on WHERE you got the fittings, and WHAT TYPE they are.... There's zillions of ways they're made. But if you didn't order anything special or fancy, it's probably one of a common few.

1/4-28 straight (normal 1/4-28 tap) and it "might" leak grease around the thread. Most people get good at stopping the tap early so the bottom thread wedges into the first thread that's not fully formed. But they're meant for straight holes with no shenanigans like that.

1/4-28 tapered threads, which as I said, are designed to wedge into 1/4-28 straight holes, with none of the shenanigans above.

1/8NPT threads, which work with a 1/8NPT tapped hole.

6mm, 8mm, and 10mm straight threads, which work nicely with straight tapped holes. Typically sealing more predictably than the imperial counterparts, but not totally infallible. Tapping short can apply here too.

And the "drive" type... Pick a measurement system and then pick a size. You make a precision hole, and use a special "driver" to hammer them in. Essentially a press fit in lieu of threads.

Again, there's THOUSANDS out there, but unless you're ordering "special stuff", that short list will have you covered.

The taper is on the fitting only, female threads are straight UNF.

Back