1" round rod, what can be made?

Found a 10' long section of round steel 1" in diameter. I cut off 12" length and cleaned it up a little, as it was buried in the dirt of my backyard.

I was thinking maybe a hammer but it looks like most machinist hammers use a aluminum handle.

What sort of stuff would you make or could be made from a 1" steel bar? With lathe only, no milling here, yet.

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

So cut er up and get it out off the dirt and out of the elements. Maybe I should cut in half to 5-6' lengths, wire brush them and store em away under my house.
Found a box of .474" or 12mm aluminum rods and some big aluminum tubes that have sidewall and a hole through the center.
I have no idea what the tubes could be used for, any ideas?
A thin black teflon type of coating on the big tubes maybe a mm thick, should come right off.
The small aluminum solid rods have a layer of toner melted on, but it scrapes off with a flat edge prior to turning.

I knew I saved this junk for some reason..lol

Thank you all for the great ideas, sometimes I look at the blanks and my mind blanks too. So it's super helpful to have an idea to run with!!

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

So I was thinking cutting up the 1" steel rod was going to be a real PITA . I saw this lil box hiding away in the lower part of my tool box. A little light went off in my head and thought use this to cut the steel rods!!
Good idea? Tips for using the cutoff wheel on a 3" high speed air cutter?
Going in search of airline fittings now..lol

IMG_4087.JPG

That will work. You will find it will take a lot of air to run. Wheel will disintegrate at the low speeds. Real purpose is for cutting bolts and thin stuff.
What is a great investment is a electric 4 1/2” angle grinder. With the assortment of wheels you can grind cut blend polish just about everything. Maybe third most used tool in my shop.

That will work. You will find it will take a lot of air to run. Wheel will disintegrate at the low speeds. Real purpose is for cutting bolts and thin stuff.
What is a great investment is a electric 4 1/2” angle grinder. With the assortment of wheels you can grind cut blend polish just about everything. Maybe third most used tool in my shop.

I think I saw an angle grinder somewhere around here, off hunting for it..

I watched a couple videos on the air cut off wheels and am thinking twice.

You are right Cadillac, smaller stuff for the air grinder.

Ohh this is a better tool, Makita!! 4 1/2" angle grinder, perfect.

So what does it get used for in your shop? I think I got this with a impact hammer a few years back and never opened the box to use.

IMG_4088.JPG

Last edited:
I would not cut up stock until I had an idea what i was going to use it for.

Maybe a very long or large piece of stock just to make it easier to store, otherwise why waste the effort and maybe shoot yourself in the foot if you needed it longer later?

Ok so I am just taking a few more samples while I figure out where to stick this stuff for storage.
Is it better to store on a concrete floor or a dirt floor as long as its in doors..lol? I have a downstairs but its dirt floor or a leaky external garage with concrete floors.
I am leaning towards dirt/slate rock as it seems to rust less than my garage.

The longest pc is 12' 6" long and the diameter of most is .624 or 15.8mm

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

Last edited:
Whats the good way to straiten out a piece of this steel?
I have some that is really bent and some that is just a little wavy or off by couple mm when rolled on flat surface.

Ok so I am just taking a few more samples while I figure out where to stick this stuff for storage.
Is it better to store on a concrete floor or a dirt floor as long as its in doors..lol? I have a downstairs but its dirt floor or a leaky external garage with concrete floors.
I am leaning towards dirt/slate rock as it seems to rust less than my garage.

The longest pc is 12' 6" long and the diameter of most is .624 or 15.8mm

Looks like a significant amount of metal you don't have a use for right now.

One idea is to plan on storing it until needed.

Like has been said cut it up into 6 inch lengths for when you might need it later if a project comes up needing that size.

Another idea is to get its weight and call a scrap yard near by and see what they would pay for it. Then use that money to buy metal you need or better, new tools!

Long pieces I’d leave alone till a project calls for it. The bent pieces are the ones I’d cut up into more manageable pieces for those smaller projects.
Angle grinders are used for grinding with a thick 1/4” grinding wheel. Take down welds. Put a wire brush on it to clean rust,paint,etc. use a cut off wheel to cut metal.

Reactions: bfk
I have a section of old railroad rail, I found a regular hammer has no impact on the bent steel, against the rail. Maybe try a bigger hammer, or is this going to require a torch and heat to get a 10" long pc with a 1/8" gap,on the roll it on flat surface test, to be strait?
Just curious how you all true up crooked stock before turning it on the lathe?

Back