1" round rod, what can be made?

Found a 10' long section of round steel 1" in diameter. I cut off 12" length and cleaned it up a little, as it was buried in the dirt of my backyard.

I was thinking maybe a hammer but it looks like most machinist hammers use a aluminum handle.

What sort of stuff would you make or could be made from a 1" steel bar? With lathe only, no milling here, yet.

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

"This would be an interesting contest. Cut one of those pieces up into shorter lengths and send them to a bunch of people to see what can be made! Post all the results here! From backyard scrap find to ???
Robert. "

I like the idea, I was thinking of some sort of contest. Good idea Robert!!

I like the idea of sending some .624" diam and say 6" length to up to 10 forum members who can paypal the shipping, send me a PM.

It would be very interesting to see what different members make and post the build on the forum.

Unfortunately no drill press here, I should get one., just haven't needed one until the lathe.

I really need to make some leveling plates to mount the lathe on and have some adjustment to square/level.

Currently researching and trying to design a tool post drill, starting off with the 1" diameter steel rod.

So far I have 2 bearings and a steel shaft to run through the center.

I am not sure about a chuck or collet for the tool side, attachment method and what size chuck or collet to use.

I see ER11 collets and a er11 collet chuck with a 8mm shaft holder. Is it best to get the er chuck holder attached to shaft or separate? I already have a 8mm shaft.

This is what I am thinking of getting....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLVDZ8B/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_2?smid=A2LUXR3HKCIR54&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLZWHBZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A3AU1GW2EDXPCQ&psc=1

Let me know any suggestions or if this is good for a tool post drill build..Thanks

IMG_4138.JPG

Last edited:
X2 on this. I can’t tell you how many times I needed to set-up a new tool and my workpiece was already setup in the chuck and my compound was dialed in.
How about making a tool height gauge? You have to very carefully measure the height of the center of your lathe spindle and then build up a shaft that rests on either a flat way or on the top of the compound. You then use that to set tools heights in your quick change tool holders. It's a simple project but must be done with a high degree of accuracy.

For extra points, make it adjustable (with a fine thread) and lockable.

You'll use such a tool for as long as you own your lathe. You'll be really happy you have one the first time you need to set up a new tool and don't have to tear down a project already set up in your lathe. ;-)

Probably examples somewhere here on the forum.

MetaKey

You may also make a 1/2" round bar (-:
Why one would do this is beyond me but is possible. I suspect that I lack spirit or vision when machining on a lathe.

A 12 ounce hammer would be a good tool to make from a small length of it. A pair of closely spaced holes then file out the ridge between the to mount wooden handle. I have a wish to make such a hammer scaled off my 16" ballpein hammer.
My personal belief about longer rods is leave them long and cut off what is required for a project. It leaves the options open and not the regrettable situation where you need a 24" rod but previosly cut them 20".
Have a good day
Ray

Back