VN 10in Vertical Dividing Head Restoration.

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
4 boxes totaling 240 pounds from our own Jason. He had offered up his 10in Van Norman Dividing Head at a time when Dr bills were taking their toll. So, I asked if he could wait until August for payment. He most graciously did. So August rolls around & I can pay - but not really ready to receive the boxes as my spine Dr operated on me & placed me on a don't pick up anything restriction. Of course Jason wastes no time trying to get these parts to me - except a little vacation time. A neighbor brings the boxes round to the shop & they sit.

20180823 01.jpg

Had to get a little creative to begin the unveiling. Man, what a packaging job Jason!

20180824 01.jpg

20180902 02.jpg

Cleanup begins

20180918 07.jpg

Head & Base are joined!

20180920 01.jpg

All of the Indexing Assembly needs cleaned & Once assembly is completed, It will be time for final paint! I have, thanks to Jason, Collets, Indexing Plates, Gears - everything really except for the gearbox for spiral indexing. I do believe this will get mounted on my no24 table & stay there. Well, until I can sort a pole & beam hoist to maneuver parts / projects onto both the mill & lathe. + from 1 to the other!

Part 2 very soon ;-)

Progress! The box for the change gears did not travel very well. The side hammered back together just fine. 20180924 01.jpg
The top needed regluing. Seemed appropriate to stack the gears on the glue joint.
20180925 01.jpg

Not enough weight though. Oh the many uses of the band saw vise!

20180925 02.jpg

The dividing head itself is progressing as well.

20180925 04.jpg

More as progress is made!

VN 10 & 7 1/2 Tailstocks with a B&S tailstock for comparison. Preliminary paint on the 10" VN. This part is stoved up. I added SAE 30 chainsaw oil to it as the grease is old & hard.

20180925 05.jpg20180928 01.jpg

Looking good! Did you try to wash out the old grease with kerosene or similar before adding the SAE 30 oil to the DH?

No, I haven't. Just assembling it to see what is needed. My hope is the bar oil will refresh the hard grease once I can get it to rotate. Remember, I can't pick this up just yet. Most of my decisions are based on not lifting more than 25lbs. I have an 84lb vise on my lathe / mill. But, I need my compound rest & tool post to take it's place on my cross slide for a few parts I'm making. & then my rotary table for a few more parts I'm making. I bought a chain hoist - but haven't sorted the post & beam needed to make tool & project maneuvering easy. Let's see a ton & a half on a 10' rail......

Last edited:
Mine was the same way. Hardened grease blobs. Removed the big chunks manually. Then filled with kerosene and cranked for a bit. Let it sit for a day or so. Would occasionally move to slosh the kerosene around. Then I drained it. Filled with a heavy gear oil I use in my Solberga drill press.
I did make a spanner wrench to fit the drain plug. Easier to drain and fill instead of disassembling. You are welcome to borrow it.

Last edited:
I'd settle for a picture of your spanner! I wondered about that plug. Now I know! Thanks!

Will take a picture and get some dimensions later today when I get into the shop. I see the collet adapter plate for the DH. Did you get the collet drawbar also?

This is my collection of no2 collets, drawtubes & NMTB 50 adaptors. Actually, I have 1 more long drawtube & adaptor.

IMG_20180914_025220393.jpg

Back