VN 10in Vertical Dividing Head Restoration.

You can see the two drain plugs at the bottom of the DH. Second picture shows the spanner inserted. Made it a nice snug fit and tall enough to clear the recessed walls of the DH.

I made the wrench from 3/16 dowel pins pressed into a piece of 1018 or 1045 (don't remember) from the scrap bin. Then a quick hardening with a torch and Kasenit. Just a quick and dirty machining job to get'r done.IMG_5860.jpgIMG_5858.jpgIMG_5859.jpg

Dowel pins: 3/16 by 1 inch long
CTC between pins: 1.124 (would verify this dimension on your DH)
OAL: 1.135
Major OD: 1.622
Hex was machined to fit a 1 inch socket.

The dimensions just turned out the way they did. Nothing planned except to make sure it fit into the recess without slop and the pins lined up.

Thank you Sir! I've already set aside the dowels for this wrench & I have plenty of 1.5" bar on hand. Just working up to taking my 84lb vise off the carriage & putting the tool post in it's place on my lathe / mill combo. Maybe you can help answer a question I have about the input. See, I have a spring washer - but no clue where it goes. Does the crank handle only get pinched into place or is there a retaining bolt & washer? OLD STEAM POWERED MACHINE SHOP 46 shows a Van Norman no10 Vertical Dividing Head!

20181005 01.jpg
SPMS.jpg

Never mind. In my youthful exuberance to share a glimpse of 1 of these in use I neglected to just watch the rest of the video. Questions answered & assembly complete! She does turn smoothly.

Man, I knew I should not have clicked back on this thread. Now my jealousy bug has been bitten. Only recourse now, is to go watch youtube, and drink a beer.

Good job, I like it. :encourage: Thanks for sharing.

So this dividing head, just like my mill uses NMTB 50 tool holders. That's a good thing. I know, I know, 40 & especially 30 are easier to find & cheaper to buy. Well, there are NMTB 50 adaptors for the use of Van Norman no2 / Hardinge 50V end mill holders & collets. Quick rant: I don't want to collect collets for ER this or ER that or R8 or any of them. Well, I have collected the VN no2 collets & have the drawbars for both the mill & this dividing head. They are different lengths. Not on purpose at all did I collect them. It just worked out that way to the point that I passed some of the parts on to a friend. All this to share a few pointers, should you see the need to adapt this collet system.

1st are the NMTB 50 adaptors. There is a shallow version & an extended version. Due to the drawbar (drawtube) length, they are not interchangeable.

IMG_20181211_022714147.jpg

The dividing head I have uses the extended adaptor with the draw tube that matches. My mill uses the shallow adaptor with the draw tube that matches.

Family pic.

20180914 05.jpg

All this to say, be sure what you have will work with what you need. I had no idea that the shallow & extended adaptors called for a different offset in the draw tube length. Now that's my Colombo impersonation for the day.

This is the drawtube I'm using. It is longer than the Van Norman 7 1/2" version just enough to fit an NMTB 50 extended nose adaptor.

DRAWBAR.jpg

Both adaptors side by side.

IMG_20181211_022714147.jpg
Extended version is at the top of this pic.

Back