11.5 TPI

"3d printers tend to print holes about 3% undersize and external features about 3% oversize. I'll adjust the dimensions of the model accordingly, unless you'd like otherwise."

You can't assume a specific percentage, and if the owner has properly calibrated the printer, they already are taking that into account. All slicer software allows you to adjust for the error, even accounting for the different filaments you use. You just have to determine what those adjustments are for that printer/filament (gross generalizations being committed here).

Thanks Ken, Is it a problem to do both incase I want to have a metal one made?

I haven't asked my friend with the 3D printer yet, but I can't see where that would be a problem. What would be the best materal to use for a gear like that?

Sorry, I missed your question earlier regarding the best material.

a 3d printed gear isn't going to last with a thread as coarse as 11.5tpi regardless of which plastic is used. Nylon would probably be strongest, but most consumer 3d printers aren't likely capable of doing nylon. I would just use PLA, and expect the gear to be a consumable than needs frequently replaced.

If you want one that will last, consider the 3d printed gear as a temporary stopgap and order a metal gear.

I have some PLA gears I printed for infrequent weird pitches. They have actually surprised me at how long they have lasted, but i'm mostly doing finer pitches that involve lower cutting forces.

Here is a .stl for the same gear, but modeled to actual dimensions with no offsets.

In case your friends 3d printer is adjusted/calibrated such that the offsets aren't needed.

Attachments

• 46T Actual Dimensions.stl
    925.1 KB · Views: 52
Here is a .stl for the same gear, but modeled to actual dimensions with no offsets.

In case your friends 3d printer is adjusted/calibrated such that the offsets aren't needed.
Thanks, I'm getting ready to check some of the web sites on having a metal gear made, I might just go that route and call it good. I appreciate all your help.

Tim

Thanks guys,

I will get some measurements of the 40T gear today and post them on here.

@Ken226 Thanks for the offer. And I will scratch the 23T gear off the list.

@RJSakowski How do I know what the pressure angle of the gear is?
That's actually a tough one, especially for smaller gears. Without a known gear or gage for comparison it comes down to a visual thing.

The gear generator in the link above can be useful as you can change from 14.5 to 20 and back and see the difference. Generate a gear with the same number of teeth as one of your gears for the most accurate comparison.

I had the desire to cut a 11.5 TPI thread the other day. Found out my 1236T does not cut 11.5 TPI.

I have read through quite a few threads on the subject and have concluded that I either need a 23T or a 46T change gear before my lathe will cut that thread. I have reached out to PM and neither one is available.

I have a friend that has a 3D printer, I haven't asked him yet but I'm thinking if I had a drawing, he could make me one.

So, my question is does anyone have a drawing and/or the file needed for him to make me a gear? Or another solution so I can cut 11.5 TPI.

Tim
Check this out. It provides lots of possible things plus approximate tpi settings.
I had the desire to cut a 11.5 TPI thread the other day. Found out my 1236T does not cut 11.5 TPI.

I have read through quite a few threads on the subject and have concluded that I either need a 23T or a 46T change gear before my lathe will cut that thread. I have reached out to PM and neither one is available.

I have a friend that has a 3D printer, I haven't asked him yet but I'm thinking if I had a drawing, he could make me one.

So, my question is does anyone have a drawing and/or the file needed for him to make me a gear? Or another solution so I can cut 11.5 TPI.

Tim
Check out the following thread to find ALL possible tpi with all possible gears and gear box settings. You should be able to get close to 11.5 if not exactly.

Dave L

Thanks, I'm getting ready to check some of the web sites on having a metal gear made, I might just go that route and call it good. I appreciate all your help.

Tim
It looks like you will have to go the custom route, I didn’t see any 46 tooth M1.25 gears from the suppliers I know of. I checked on having a couple gears made last winter that were half the size of what you are looking at, I never went through with the quote when she told me it would be very expensive for a one off. That’s when I found Maedler had something I could modify to work. It might be cheaper to find two stock gears of different tooth counts that will work rather than having a custom gear made. You could also post a request on the can you make me something forum and see if someone can do that cheaper for you then from a gear supplier.

It looks like you will have to go the custom route, I didn’t see any 46 tooth M1.25 gears from the suppliers I know of. I checked on having a couple gears made last winter that were half the size of what you are looking at, I never went through with the quote when she told me it would be very expensive for a one off. That’s when I found Maedler had something I could modify to work. It might be cheaper to find two stock gears of different tooth counts that will work rather than having a custom gear made. You could also post a request on the can you make me something forum and see if someone can do that cheaper for you then from a gear supplier.
That's what I'm thinking also. My friend said he would make one for me with his 3D printer. I don't really have that much of a need for one that would justify an expensive gear. It's going to be interesting how long a plastic gear will last.

I was going to make a custom hose end for my wintertime stock tank hose. It's kind of a long story but basically every time I add water to the stock tank I have to connect and disconnect a hose. With the currently available hose ends it gets a little tough with gloves on. So, I thought I would make one that was glove friendly.

Another option would be for me to learn to make gears and make my own. That might take a while though since I'm still trying to learn all the nomenclature as it is.

Which part requires 11.5 TPI and can you design around it? Since you are making custom fittings, might as well make it with what you have unless the 11.5 TPI goes into something you can't make yourself. If this is for NPT, those are tapered as well, will you be able to do a tapered thread?

Back