12L14

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I've not been avoiding using 12L14, but I never really had a good idea on what to use it for.

I just found out some of the mystery steel round bar I bought is 12L14.

Leaded steel is supposed to cut like aluminum. Nicer finishes would be pretty nice for certain projects.

In my mind I could imagine it wouldn't wear well.
I would think it would be good for situations where a shaft is riding in bearings and it won't be disassembled often.

There is another 200# or so of 12L14 round bar sitting there rusting in a bin for $1 a pound. Now that I know what it is I'm thinking about buying another 100# or so but I don't want too much if I don't have a great use for it. The surplus place had no idea what they are selling.

What types of projects do you use 12L14?

I bought 155# of 12L14 round bar drops ranging in length and diameter but most 12" - 18".
1"- 2" diameter. It was raining pretty hard so I need to let them dry before putting it all away.

Good thinking! But 12l14 turns a hundred times better than aluminum. It’s just about the best stuff ever made for general purpose use…imho that is.
There’s an English fellow who wrote a few books on machining. He used it to make collets, collet holders, end mill holders, tool grinders, machine slides….everything.

Everything in red plus a couple 3ft plus pieces cost me $180. Now that I know what it is the value is a lot higher.

View attachment 462662

The longer pieces are 18" or longer. The shorter pieces are in the 14" range except a few
If you find any square stock at $1/lbs., particularly larger cross sections grab it: squares are hard to find and cost more when you can find them.

Back