12L14

Even really big cross sections: you can saw them lengthwise to make rectangular bar.
Unfortunately when I buy surplus the material is never marked. I have to haul it 35 miles to a recycling center to have it scanned. Major bummer.

Yes, but a waste of stock if you can find square (I’ve never found it as plate, only bar stock).

That reminds me, I need to touch base with my source next week . . .
Yes, definitely does make more chips. But, if you have the material you want in round bar you can turn it into a pretty accurate square with the lathe. I did this for my grinder attachment and was thrilled with the outcome, didn’t even know it could be done before….

John

As a hobby machinist now, 12L14 is my goto steel for most things. Some 303s if corrosion resistant is needed. Great finishes milling and turning. If I need odd shapes, I just mill round stock as required. Making hobby stuff, more should use 12L14 . Your machines will thank you.

At that price it is probably a good general purpose material, the only place it seems that 1018 beats it is weldability and corrosion resistance.

12L14 vs 1018
This excerpt from the article surprised me. I wouldn't think 12L14 would be good for gears or wear applications as it just seems so soft.
Also, it can be heat treated? They must be referring to carburizing? >>>

"""

12L14 Steel​

12L14 Steel is a low-carbon leaded steel characterized by its high flexibility, machinability and strength. This type of Steel offers excellent properties for cold working and is often used in screws, bolts, studs and other parts that need intricate forming operations. It can also be heat-treated to make higher tensile strength components, making it an ideal choice for industrial applications.

""""

Back