• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

12x36 Lathe Taper Attachment

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I finally got a 12x36 Chinese lathe and i`m about to pull the trigger on a taper attachment for it.

It replaces the feed screw in the cross slide. I am hoping it replaces it with a 10 TPI .100 per revolution screw and not the funky .125 per revolution screw that this machine has. Anyone know for sure?

This is the kit i`m looking at: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Taper-Attachment-Kit-for-G4002-G4003-G4003G/T10556

Should work on any of these Chinese 12x36's lathes from the past 20-30 years.

Superburban

I believe if it did, the instruction manual would make mention of it.

BGHansen

Looks like from the Grizzly photo it's 0.100" per turn or 10 tpi. The only thing I'd be worried about is the gear on the shaft that meshes with your apron for power feeding. Don't know if they are the same modular pitch and number of teeth on the gears. Push comes to shove, you may need to Frankenstein the Grizzly and stock parts to get it working. Not unheard up and naturally a lot easier to do if you have another lathe to use as the 12 x 36 will be torn down.

Bruce

CarlosA

That makes sense, I could remake the gears if necessary.

I wasnt able to make it out in the pics, thanks.

Bluedog

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Did you ever buy and install the Grizzly taper attachment? I bought one and am trying to install it on my G4003. I’m beginning to think the taper attachment is a complete piece of junk. I have some questions if you’re installing one. Thanks

CarlosA

I never did sorry, I'm leaning more toward making something instead ... but would love to see pics and know what you have encountered! We can make this thread all about it ...

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock