$13 including shipping - 6" 3 Jaw 2 Pcs Reversible Self Centering Lathe Chuck w/ 1-1/2-8 Back Plate

Got a notice from eBay my cc was refunded, I did leave a negative feedback a couple days ago.

E-bay would not let me start the claim yet, since they are due today.

Unfortunately, they have so many sales, our few negatives have no real effect on their rating. Amazing that E-bay considers 98% as a top rated seller.

evip.PNG

I wonder if this is just a numbers game to them. Like the implausible boiler room phone calls or emails with <insert scam here>. They just need a few victims to cover cost of ad & the rest is gravy. ie. if they fluff you long enough, maybe it goes the beyond the Ebay/Paypal policy to file complaint for refund & thus they keep the proceeds? 500 chuck aficionados * 13 $/chuck * 10% success rate = 650$. Not bad for the effort of posing a picture of a shiny object. When the gig is up, they fold the tent & start up another one.

I've actually come close to this with looong delivery items from Asia. Actually very few scams, mostly well meaning honest sellers & improbable shipping times like months after the fact. Seems to me the trigger date for refund is X days within ETA stated in transaction, or do Ihav ethat wrong? Lots of low level junk I buy is 8 weeks. Sometimes I have actually forgotten about ordering until I'm looking for the item. Now I immediately pop the delivery date in my calendar & start communicating before the deadline if its a no-show. Seems like that's what PayPal hinges on as part of refund settlement - that you have contacted seller & tried to resolve? In this particular case it was pretty short delivery & you guys are on top of it. Interesting story. Be interesting to see the outcome.

A very common scam that some unscrupulous overseas sellers do, is sell inexpensive items, often less-than the production cost would be sometimes even less than the expense of shipping, then state a long shipping time from Country-X, with the hope that buyers will more often then not forget they purchase that inexpensive item until it was too late to file a claim. Like you said, it is a numbers game

Funny you mention shipping times. With this new economy shipping, where it goes from FedEx, or UPS, to a big city near by (Denver in my case), then to the post office to do the final delivery. I've had the economy shipping take longer then stuff from China. If its a city near the port, and hits the boat right, I have gotten stuff in a little over a week. Unless they tossed them on a plane as space available. I do not see how anybody makes any money off this.

china.PNGchina2.PNG.

As much we complain about 'where things come from these days' I am still a realist. I buy a bag of 25 zippy stainless metric fasteners from Asia that arrive in 2 weeks with free shipping. Compare that with a) my local fastener guy doesn't have them b) he has never heard of them c) he might be able to get some from his supplier with special order surcharge d) but only if I buy a box of 500 e) they look suspiciously identical to the ones off Ebay etc. etc.

And the kicker is - WTF free shipping? If I were to post the same bag of Asia screws to my next door neighbor it would cost me $8.00. But right now there is a F*$#% rotating postal strike going on in Canada, so even THAT cant be accomplished.

Sorry for the rambling departure. Back to $13 chucks LOL

Unfortunately, that free shipping does come with an expense.

Many decades ago, the international world agreed to an international postal standard. If I send a letter to Japan, it is the US postal system that pays to get it to Japan. After that, Japan postal delivers it to the receiver. Japan does not get paid to handle the letter. When the convention was signed, it was thought that numbers would kinda equal out. Saves the sending country from having to calculate their cost to get the letter to the receiving country, and what the receiving country will charge the sending country to finish the delivery.

Now, as I understand it, China heavily subsides the ships delivering Chinese goods. In many cases, the shipping cost for the seller, is what it costs him to drive across town, and drop off the parcels that then get stuffed into a container. Once that container arrives in the US, it is on the US postal service to deliver it to my door step. There is no concern as to where in the US, the item is to be delivered. I have had stuff arrive in LA, Washington, NY, are a few I can think of. Obviously the item arriving in NY, will cost the USPS more to get it to me.

That 35 cents in the above e-bay sale, could very well be the actual shipping cost.

I believe a good portion of the stuff sold by a lot of the Chinese sellers, is factory overruns, rejects, and the like.

The powers to be, blame Amazon on the USPS losses, but I think China is the bigger cause.

Superburban; When I asked them what they were gonna do about my non reciept I got the same reply from them as you did I then sent them this reply for what its worth....

This is the same cut and paste lie you sent to all of the orders in question including mine !!!!

I will not stand for this !! you will send the item that I and many others that you accepted payment from and stop lying

about your logistics crap, you never sent my order out, and MANY others as well !!

You company screwed up !!! That is not my fault or the fault of the other customers, it is your fault, MAN UP !!

Do the right thing and send my product that you accepted payment for and said was shipped.

Until this is rectified you will receive nothing but negative feed back from me and I am sure many others on many world wide machinist forums, (IE) your customer base. Think about the possible loss this could be for you !!!

I guess we'll see what they say next

If you ever get a chance to research current shipping agreements it's a pretty complicated issue and expansive. Who these agreements hurt the most are small business in the US. Sellers in China and (and 35 other countries) can mail an item across the world, then across the United States to your door for cheaper than you or I can ship the same package across the street. That sounds like an exaggeration but it's really not. The USPS actually does not make enough to cover costs when delivering foreign treaty packages. The report I read stated that the USPS was paid only 94 cents on average for each piece of Chinese ePacket mail, losing about a dollar on each incoming item. There is no way a US based company can compete by selling an item that they sell for $2.00 (making minimal profit) when shipping cost are another $2.50 and a China based online seller will sell it to you for .99 cents with free shipping.

Back