1340gt surface finish problem

You too? Yeah, that was the first thing I did after I made the video. I'm guilty of playing my tunes WAY too loud so I didn't notice it, especially with the cover on. I tightened it up with a piece of printer paper for a shim, all better now!:)

I thought I'd better make another video with the gears adjusted, just in case Matt couldn't hear what he needed to hear.

The motor definitely has a hum to it, but I don't know if that noise is what Matt was talking about. All motors seem to hum some. The brush and plate for the centrifugal start switch is sure making a lot of noise. On my Kent 13x40 I took the motor apart, polished the contact brush and where it rubs on the contact plate, and it was gloriously quiet -- for about five hours of run time. Now the noise is back, but not as bad. It was never as noisy as yours is, unless it is just the video making it seem louder and scratchier...

You can see your belt resonating back and forth, I would try to tension the belt a bit more. You also may consider a notched belt such as the Gates Tri-Power, you would need both a BX24 and BX25 belt. I would also be curious if you see the same cutting issue on the low speed belt setting.
20160121_161748.jpg

Attachments

• Belt tension.mp4
    14 MB · Views: 99
The motor squeal when the power is turned off doesn't sound right. The 2hp single phase motor that was on my PM-1440gt was a lot quieter all around and did not squeal.

You can see your belt resonating back and forth, I would try to tension the belt a bit more. You also may consider a notched belt such as the Gates Tri-Power, you would need both a BX24 and BX25 belt. I would also be curious if you see the same cutting issue on the low speed belt setting.
View attachment 225675
I've tried every belt except the notched one like in your photo. I have 5/8" and 1/2" V-belts and 5/8" and 1/2" link belts, no difference in any of them.
I have it tensioned exactly how it's recommended, this is copy and pasted from the manual...

Raise the motor

to de-tension, reposition the Vee belt, then lower the motor

to re-tension — not fully weight bearing, just enough

to drive reliably without slipping.

I've tried even less tension than that and as much tension as I could get, no difference.

It does the same thing on both HIGH and LOW pulleys.

Yes I agree with Jay, that squeal COULD be something with that motor. Ive also seen motors with just a very very slight rub on the motor shaft, but that one does sound like something. Will get the motor on the way, see if that fixes it. If not, (Or now) also check the spindle bearings, also as Jay said earlier. Ive just never had that cause anything, but hey there is always a first for everything. (Like if its the 1340GT Mot0r, never once had that)

Have you tried locking or tightening both cross slide and compound to eliminate that

Yes another good idea, and also I think it was already mentioned, make sure the tool post is pulling down tight. Just saw a machine this morning that has an Aloris on it, the T Nut was a little too thick, so it was tightening down on the T Nut, but not actually sitting tight on the top of the compound, so you could tap it back and forth. Similar problem, fixed that immediately.

Back