1440 Automatic Feed and Threading Not Working

Allan

Active User
Registered
So I finally got my new to me 1440 lathe wired up. It is basically the same as the Warco GA1440.

The problem is that it would not consistently work either the longitudinal feed nor the threading feed. Sometime it would but most of the time it wouldn't. The lathe is in excellent condition but has no "name" on it. A no name lathe. I suspect this problem is the reason it sat unused for many years and was finally sold. The supervisor of the sewing plant I bought it from knew nothing about it since he had not worked there for very long. I suspect it was built in the 1990's. Being in a sewing factory it did not see very heavy use and I see no signs of abuse such as dings, gouges , cracks or scratches.

When I run it with the headstock cover off I can see the input shaft gear turning fine. But I can't seem to engage the auto feeds. I thought it was because the lube levels were low and it might not be allowing things to slide on the shafts. They are sort of like an old crash box non-synchro tranny. So I drained all the old oil out and replaced it with new. Things definitely move more better now but still no joy on the auto feeds.

Any suggestions on where to start? I am steeling myself to remove the headstock from the gearbox but I sure don't relish the prospect. Is it possible to remove the headstock without draining it? The grainy old line drawings are a bit of problem for aging eyes. but I'll go through those as well. I'm hoping it is just a pin has sheared or dropped out.

Also, any idea what the cryptic warning, " No Locking No Running" on the direction selector might be telling me? Might the vagueness of this term be responsible for the problem that is manifesting itself?

Attachments

• 20220428_171643_resized.jpg
    20220428_171643_resized.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220428_171654_resized.jpg
    20220428_171654_resized.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220428_171704_resized.jpg
    20220428_171704_resized.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 118
Looks like you might be missing a gear, normally there’s one driven off the spindle that drives the feed gearbox. Here’s a video that might be helpful.

John

Last edited:
Is it the output shaft/gear of the headstock is not engaging the drive to the gearbox, or is it a problem in the gearbox. Most likely the headstock shifting forks are not in the correct position and need to be adjusted. In addition when engaging the drive/gearbox you often need to apply pressure to the shifting selector while manually turning the spindle and feel the gears engage. With a new lathe it can often be stiff and require a bit of force to get the shifter into position. If you do not feel them snap into engagement you will either be between gears and also hopefully not have them locked. This was a very common lathe rebranded as YCL and GH in the 1340/1440/1640 models. They were and still sold under many different brand names link Birmingham and Kent. They came with both a single speed and dual speed motor.

You feed selector does not look to be fully engaged, yours is slightly angled down and should be slightly angled up.
1651207206394.png

Attachments

• YCL-1340 - 1440 OPERATION AND PARTS MANUAL.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 130
The gear train looks correct according to page 17 of the manual linked by MKSJ. He is also probably correct in that the gear selectors are between being engaged. Also it's possible that someone prior to your ownership has sheared the feed shaft shear pin or the coupling at the gearbox/feed shaft connection.

Thanks, guys.

The external gear train IS engaged. As I said originally the input shaft gear at the bottom front of the gearbox is turning. The belts go up to the rear of the headstock and input power there. Through internal gears it transmits this motion to the lower front of the headstock and powers the gearbox through the small gear on the red sector arm in the picture.

Yeah, the detent positions are somewhat vague all around. Yes, I have to rock the chuck to get them to line up sometimes. The feed selector may have just been left in an in between position unintentionally but i have fiddled with all knobs and lever many times but no position seems to work. The weird thing is that the first few times I played with it it did work and then became erratic and finally has stopped completely.

I'm guessing that this problem is the reason the unit sat unused for many years and was ultimately sold. That is always the problem when buying something unknown and not wired up. But he condition was so good- almost unused - that at the price they were asking I couldn't say no. If I have to put a few hundred bucks into it would still be a steal of a deal.

MKSJ, your mentioning of that feed lever has me thinking a bit more clearly. I am thinking that it is not just the longitudinal feed that does not work but also the threading rod also does not turn. If the treading rod turned but not the longitudinal feed the problem would more likely be in the gearbox. The fact the neither turn makes me thing it may be in the headstock.

Maybe I will pull the top cover off the headstock and see what is going on onside. And I just filled it with fresh oil. Gadzooks!

Any ideas on that cryptic wording on the gearbox plate: No Locking No Running ?

Okay. I went out to the shop (AKA garage) and took another look. The threading selection lever ( the one on the far right of the gearbox above the threading chart with indicators from C to F) does not move into all positions. It can be quite hit and miss. Even jogging or rocking the chuck does not guarantee that things go into position. It seems that the position from centre "O" (neutral I assume?) to F almost never engage. Might have to drain that gear box and see what is behind door number one. Is it possible to view inside it without removing the front cover that also would remove the control handle from operation?

Remove the lid......should be able to see all shafts and shifters.You could have a sheared pin in one of the shift forks....

Last edited:
The lid will give me access to the headstock but not the gearbox underneath. It appears that I can either drain the gearbox and remove the front control plate casting or I can remove the headstock from the gearbox. Neither one really thrills me. The problem with pulling the front plate is that the selector lever goes with it and I will not be able to see how it function in situ.

Looks like you might be able to remove the electrical panel above and peer in?
I wouldn't think you would need to remove the whole headstock
-M

I think you are missing the point on what I am asking. Is this gear turning or not. Clearly your feed selector in the headstock is not in the correct position (see video below), so if the gear shown is intermittent then issue is in the headstock not the gearbox and has to do with the headstock output feed direction. The A and B selector sets the drive output speed range, the lever unerneath it it sets the feed direction left or right. See if it engages in the other direction.

You currently have the gearbox in neutral "O" position so I would not expect movement of either gearbox output shaft. The feed/lead screw lever in the lower right , position "F" and "D" are for the feed rod, position "E" and "C" are for the lead screw. There is also another gear selector in the lower left corner that is not set correctly. You need to systematically follow the drive and see where it is problem issue as opposed to tearing everything apart.
1651244927105.png

1651245833495.png

Back