1440GT Upgrades and Additions

Part Five, Solid Tool Post​

Is posted here:

Mine's pretty similar to Jake's (Post #11). Easy to mount and remove. I keep it stored in my tool chest when not in use.

IMG_1356.jpgIMG_1358.jpgIMG_1359.jpg

I really like your modifications. I saw what I presume is your youtube video of the motor running and it has encouraged me to start down the path of doing the same swap.

Did you use half inch plate for the new motor mount?

I really like your modifications. I saw what I presume is your youtube video of the motor running and it has encouraged me to start down the path of doing the same swap.

Did you use half inch plate for the new motor mount?
Aaron, not sure what video on YouTube you’re referring to, but I don’t recall posting one of my machine.

Yes, the motor mount plate that I used is 1/2”.

Ah. Someone else with a 1440 also did the same conversion!
I've got some plate. I'll start working on the turnbuckle.

That was Alex who posted the motor conversion, I installed my control system in his 1440GT lathe and the stock motor would cog on acceleration. He then made a motor mount that Jbolt originally designed for the Marathon E470 Motor and I helped him install it. It is a beast of a motor and has been replaced with the E470A which is even heavier. The case is slightly different, but the overall dimensions appear to be the same. The motor that Jake installed in the Marathon Y541A, the "A" version is a bit shorter then the non "A" version and about 40 lbs lighter then the E470A. It requires the back encoder shaft to be sawed off and some trimming of the fins on the top where the splash shield would hit. These motors can be quite pricey retail, so you need to hunt around to find better deals. Also on eBay, it pays to make an offer under the asking price, I see a lot of these sit on eBay for months. Shipping is the killer these days. Some come with a mounted rear encoder that is removed.

Please look at the attached motor dimensions, the Y541A will only work with a bottom turnbuckle like Jake did, the 470A should be able to use either design mount type. It takes some fabrication skills and welding for the hinge, although one could probably have a bolt on hinge. Jbolt posted all his designs in a previous thread.
Mark

3HP MARATHON 1770RPM 182T TENV 3PH MOTOR E470A

Marathon AC Motor TVF182THTY7726AAM 3HP 5400RPM 230/460V New Surplus (Y541A)

Attachments

• Marathon Y541A Motor.pdf
    510.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Marathon E470A motor.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
As always, great info @mksj - The Y541A looks like the right choice. I am liking that "bottom mount and turnbuckle" idea. I do not want to remove the backsplash any more than absolutely required. And thank you for the ebay searches. I would have paid double from a supplier.

@davidpbest - already have some chunks of aluminum ordered :)

Back