1440GT

Fc911c

Registered
Registered
Hi, my 1440GT which is now about 5 years old with very little usage sorry to say life got in the way. My problem is when mostly running on higher speeds oil is leaking from rear spindle bore, shaft with small gear right below spindle and the lower shaft as well. I have had some small leaks from new but now it’s getting much worse. It’s to the point that it’s making a big mess and getting on belts. I thought maybe vents where clogged and it was building pressure, that wasn’t the problem. Also the rear of spindle does not have a seal to my surprise.

Anyone have any idea what’s going on? I’m kind of stumped.

Thanks

Most likely coming from the shaft seal right below the spindle. Mine was weeping and when I rebuilt the spindle bearings I replaced that seal. Yes the spindle doesn’t have the typical rubber seal type. It has a labaryth seal. Which consist of grooves that do NOT align with grooves in cover plate. Mine had three sets of grooves on the spacer and three in the cover plate. They are offset to each other. That oil drains into the cover plate which drains it back to the gearbox housing.
The best way to locate the leak is clean everything down. Especially around the sealing surfaces. Run the machine till you see the leak. Having it go through its heat cycle running should show the problem.

Most likely coming from the shaft seal right below the spindle. Mine was weeping and when I rebuilt the spindle bearings I replaced that seal. Yes the spindle doesn’t have the typical rubber seal type. It has a labaryth seal. Which consist of grooves that do NOT align with grooves in cover plate. Mine had three sets of grooves on the spacer and three in the cover plate. They are offset to each other. That oil drains into the cover plate which drains it back to the gearbox housing.
The best way to locate the leak is clean everything down. Especially around the sealing surfaces. Run the machine till you see the leak. Having it go through its heat cycle running should show the problem.
Hi, yes I already cleaned and inspected, the worst leak is as you said right below the spindle, is that a seal or is it a sealed bearing?

The bottom shaft with the rubber seal is leaking as well. Would you know part numbers?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• D6B0D192-1786-4C5E-B2B7-8A7787D7FC43.jpeg
    D6B0D192-1786-4C5E-B2B7-8A7787D7FC43.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 94
  • E43A6CE8-6116-4CFC-A6E3-09AE46BE2E4A.jpeg
    E43A6CE8-6116-4CFC-A6E3-09AE46BE2E4A.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 85
  • 53488B66-4CAE-4171-A224-542828B61E44.jpeg
    53488B66-4CAE-4171-A224-542828B61E44.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 91
Mine were seals. I do not have a pm lathe so I couldn’t help on part numbers. The seal should have a number on it. Or you could measure shaft for id and measure housing for od. Give pm a call they should be able to get what you need.

I had a similar leak in my carriage from a shaft that was just at the oil level and it would wick through. I made an aluminum cover plate and attached it with some silicone sealant. Didn't have a problem after that and it would be easily removed if needed for repair.
1340GT Bearing Patch Oil Seal.jpg

Mine were seals. I do not have a pm lathe so I couldn’t help on part numbers. The seal should have a number on it. Or you could measure shaft for id and measure housing for od. Give pm a call they should be able to get what you need.
Looks like the seal on that shaft is on the inside and the and bearing is on the outside just to make things more difficult.

I had a similar leak in my carriage from a shaft that was just at the oil level and it would wick through. I made an aluminum cover plate and attached it with some silicone sealant. Didn't have a problem after that and it would be easily removed if needed for repair.
View attachment 407443
I believe that those are plugs with orings there are quite a few of them on the lathe. I did something similar only mine was above oil line I just cleaned it and put some sealant over the seam.

That one turned (the shafts with the center hole turned), it was a through shaft. There is a seal plug to the right and above. But whatever works and is doesn't require disaasmbly would be preferred.

That one turned (the shafts with the center hole turned), it was a through shaft. There is a seal plug to the right and above. But whatever works and is doesn't require disaasmbly would be preferred.
Oh ok, looks like my fix might be a big job depending on what has to be removed to get at the seal under the top cover. It’s leaking so bad it can’t be ignored.

Back