1440GT

My F250 leaks too, and I used to drive British cars....

I also have a 100+ year old Seneca Falls lathe and it doesn't have any place where oil seals would even be a thing. Ultimately lathes use oil whether for lubrication or cutting. It's up to you to determine how much oil leaking is acceptable but I would discourage trying to make it as leak free as a brand new Honda.

Pretty much if you make sure it has oil every place it needs to be, and you change it at recommended intervals you'll probably be fine. I'd hate to disassemble a perfectly good running machine just because it lost a pint or so of lube every few weeks. It's just my opinion but oil is cheap and tearing down a machine can get expensive.

I think this is what they use in industry for this issue.

John

I noticed as well in the manual that the seal was on the inside of the bearing, that seems like a strange design. The bearing in the pictures you posted looks like it is a shielded bearing. With the seal inboard of the bearing, it won’t be getting oil lubricated, so that indicates it likely is shielded or sealed.

The manual on the PM website lists it as a 30x47x8 seal, should be easy to get from a local bearing distributor. Since you need to pull the bearing to get that seal out, you might want to replace that as well.

My F250 leaks too, and I used to drive British cars....

I also have a 100+ year old Seneca Falls lathe and it doesn't have any place where oil seals would even be a thing. Ultimately lathes use oil whether for lubrication or cutting. It's up to you to determine how much oil leaking is acceptable but I would discourage trying to make it as leak free as a brand new Honda.

Pretty much if you make sure it has oil every place it needs to be, and you change it at recommended intervals you'll probably be fine. I'd hate to disassemble a perfectly good running machine just because it lost a pint or so of lube every few weeks. It's just my opinion but oil is cheap and tearing down a machine can get expensive.

I think this is what they use in industry for this issue.

John
Sounds like jibberish to me, if it was a perfectly working machine I wouldn’t have started leaking from the beginning. Besides the mats are useless when oil is dripping on high speed rotating parts unless you put them on the walls and ceiling.

Sounds like jibberish to me, if it was a perfectly working machine I wouldn’t have started leaking from the beginning. Besides the mats are useless when oil is dripping on high speed rotating parts unless you put them on the walls and ceiling.
Sure, it's your machine do what you want. I could explain what I'm saying better but if you don't want to hear it I'll just keep quiet.

Back