$150 South Bend 9B

BTW don't be afraid to put it in a big pot and heat the parts up. I used TSP and boiled the paint and grime away.
It gave me a great tooth to paint too.

Take a wire wheel to that hand wheel and polish it up.. You'll be amazed how it feels in the hand turning small amounts.

I plan to keep the hand wheel as is, I like the patina look and it speaks to the life of the machine and the work it has done.

I cooked all my parts in an ultrasonic cleaner and most came out looking like new!
I opted for the large size when I bought it so the big parts would also fit.

A little slow on the lathe progress, as I have had to do a fair bit of driving around lately, and other projects around the house have captured my free time. But I was able to spend a little time in the shop last night, and clean up the tail stock:

I was also able to pick up an MT2 dead center for it, which I needed, as I didn't have one in that size. And on the same trip I picked up this:

a nice, old combination milling attachment and dividing head. I am not sure what it was from, as it didn't fit the Monarch that was offered at the estate sale that I ended up finding when I need to go to the other end of the state. I am trying to find a way to make it work for my lathe, but it might be sized for a larger swing. Right now it is sitting on the broken cross slide that was on the lathe when I got it, and has been replaced. But it might make a decent mount when I get to that.

In other news, I picked this up a couple weeks ago:

A Barker PM mill. Oddly enough, I spotted this for sale about a month ago but was just about to leave town so I didn't act on it. But, it popped up again, and I was able to get it even cheaper as no one had bought it, surprisingly. It has a 3/4hp instant reverse motor that is going to go on the lathe and I will drop this down to 1/3hp which is what it is supposed to have. I will start a thread on the clean up when I get a chance to work on it. Right now it is sitting in my garage out back, as I threw my back out as soon as I got home with it, kinda surprising, as we used a chain hoist to load it, and I never touched it.

There are instant reverse motors in single phase? How's that possible? capacitor / special windings?

Not sure what the specific electro-mechanical setup is, but it is definitely a cap start motor. The seller demonstrated it for me, and it does exactly that, instantly reverse. The motor is branded Dayton, so I am not sure who made it, though.

Instant reverse single phase is definately a thing. I have one on my South Bend. You can still get them brand new today, but they're an oddball for sure. Price and availability alone will confirm that aspect. They do use a capacitor (or more?), there's an internal built in relay involved, and I believe there's multiple centrifugal switches involved. Or maybe multiple contacts on one switch. Something along those lines. It's not something that the motors "want" to do. The manufacturers had to make a pact with the devil to get them to do that.

Absolutely something to hang on to if you happen to own one, and if you don't own one, ignorance is bliss, as the acquisition can be an all consuming hobby unto it's self.

They absolutely are "instant reverse", however "instant" can be a relative term. They don't reverse as quickly, or with as much torque as three phase motors of equal output "typically" will if you've got any significant inertia in the system. But they're pretty quick. Way, way faster a heckuva lot better than waiting for one to wind down before activating it the other way.

And I'm back.

After along fall and winter with too much other things I had too do, much of my shop time was relegated to playing advance tetras trying to find a way to shove all of the new tools and toys into my tiny space. Almost there, I think, but we will see. Anyway, she's done!

As you can see, I still have a ways to go rerouting all the motor and light wires, but fired her up this evening, and she ran like a top!

I did need to rewire my shop, as there wasn't a good plug in the area I wanted, but while it was a bit of a hassle getting up into the corners of the space, things worked out well

I'll tuck the lines back behind the water line that runs through, and that will keep them out of the way. I also spent time trying to get things in the spaces I want them to be for access, and, like the rest of the shop it took some time and effort. But, I have the basics down:

Now, to clean things up, and get to making chips.

Last edited:
I wasn't looking for a new lathe, as I loved my Craftsman 6 inch, but while out looking for vintage tools and antiques (getting out of my wife's hair, as I do every Saturday) I went to go look at a recuring sale near me that showed some possibilities in the ad. Well, nothing looked to interesting, but there was an old lathe sitting on the ground, but like I said, I wasn't looking right then. But, as I was leaving I overheard someone ask the price "$150" was what I heard, so I slowed down, trying to find out if the other guy was serious, or just asking. Turns out he was just asking, so I quickly jumped. "Will you hold it for $50 while I go and get the rest? I am just going a few miles to the nearest bank."
"Sure, and we can load it for you when you get back."
So, unexpectedly, a new lathe!

Here it is in the back of my truck.

I got it unloaded into the back shed, which was the only place I had room, and then it sat for a few months while I finished up the AMMCO shaper resto I was in the middle of, got the bathroom remodel to a place I was happy with, and was able to start rearranging the tiny basement shop to accommodate this addition. And that is still a massive mess. But here it is loosely assembled on the table I made for it, in the place I finally decided was going to be its location:

And yes, I know I am not supposed to put anything on the ways. That is why there is a rag and a note pad under things!

Anyway, that is where I am. It came with both 3 and 4 jaw chucks, with a spare set of jaws for the 3-jaw, along with a face plate. An Armstrong tool holder was in the lantern, and it has a couple of the original wrenches also. I have scrounged some replacements for the few broken parts, and a follower rest from a friend. Any other tooling is what I have collected over the years. But, I cannot complain at the price.

My main impressions of it so far are that it has great ways, mostly original paint, and it is filthy. So, right now I am taking it all apart to clean and refresh the old girl, which I have found out is from 1947. I have picked up the rebuild manual, and new felts for it. I might have a belt for the cones, and I need to replace the drive belt. After I sell the 6 inch to my friend Brian, I will pick up a steady rest and change gears, and sooner or later a milling attachment.

I will keep everyone posted as I work everything out.
It is a great purchase.
I just sold one in November cleaner with tooling for $1,500.00
My wife want down size to mini lathe that we cold move under 100 pounds.

I still like SB lathe but retired now.

Dave

What a splendid read! And I thought I took the cake with my $225 Heavy 10R... clapped out ways, no tooling or toolpost or compound or chuck or plates or anything! You win. Nicely done!

Back